Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Beer Making > Summertime boils

Memorial Day Sale - Today Only! - 20% off Wine Kits! LIMITED SUPPLIES

Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012
Liked 3047 Times on 1329 Posts
Likes Given: 3205

There's an a/c vent under the towels...

Hey, it's 95 degrees here. I didn't want to fiddle around with protracted recipes, so I popped two extract ales off, one after the other.

#1: Donald Trump

I call it that because it is blonde and not PC by homebrew standards at all. It is an English Pale Ale. Basically a lawn mower brew.

6 gallons initial boil.

Remove from heat.

Add:

3 lbs. Maris Otter LME
3 lbs. table sugar (the "not PC" part)
1 oz. Centennial hops (bittering)

Boil 45 minutes.

Add:
3 oz. maltodextrin
1 oz. Centennial hops (aroma)

Boil 10 minutes.

Cool.

Add Clarity Ferm and Danstar Windsor Ale yeast.

#2: Mean Ruby Jean

This is sort-kinda an EZ drinking red ale.

6 gallons initial boil.

After water has reached 90 degrees, steep:

3 ounces Debittered Belgian Black Barley (The jury is still out on 3 oz.; I may use 4 or even 5 next time around. We'll see how red it turns out.)

Continue steep, occasionally moving and dipping the bag, until water reaches 150 degrees, then remove.

Bring to boil. Remove from heat.

Add:

3 lbs. Maillard Malts Gold LME
3 lbs. Munton's Light DME
1 oz. US Brewer's Gold hops (bittering)

Boil 45 minutes.

Add:

3 oz. maltodextrin
1 oz. German Tettnang hops (a Saaz varient)

Boil 10 minutes. Cool.

Add Clarity Ferm and Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Ale yeast.

----

So there ya go, a couple of beers I could crank out on a Sunday afternoon that won't have craft brewers swooning but should taste mighty good after working in 95 degrees.

People Like This 
Old 06-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #2
Elmer

Feb 2013
Liked 394 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Looks good.
I am curious how the blonde turns out.

“Solidly Indecisive” -Jon Fishman

jswordy Likes This 
Old 06-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 513 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Jim...one of my favorite beers is a Muntons canned pre-hopped Pilsner...according to the LHBS it does not even qualify as real homebrewed beer....a boil and stir beer. Add an oz or so of whatever hops are laying around, a pinch of this, a little of that...I like a bit of sweet orange peel...simple fast beer that goes down easy and is gone real quick. It looks just like beer! I like simple extract beers...good, cheap, and fast!

Remember I bought that freezer for temp control? Well, I pitched a fit and fired up the pits and cooked off a bunch of that pork. I would like to brew in it before I have to put a heater in it this winter!

jswordy Likes This 
Old 06-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
RevA

May 2015
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The Donald Trump should be good! Red ale might be a bit on the dark side...

jswordy Likes This 
Old 06-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevA View Post
The Donald Trump should be good! Red ale might be a bit on the dark side...
Dunno, 3 oz. is what I saw in a lot of recipes. It is just a steep. We'll see. Having fun and they were EZ to conjure up and do. Should go to secondary tomorrow, if it works out for me time-wise.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #6
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
Jim...one of my favorite beers is a Muntons canned pre-hopped Pilsner...according to the LHBS it does not even qualify as real homebrewed beer....a boil and stir beer. Add an oz or so of whatever hops are laying around, a pinch of this, a little of that...I like a bit of sweet orange peel...simple fast beer that goes down easy and is gone real quick. It looks just like beer! I like simple extract beers...good, cheap, and fast!

Remember I bought that freezer for temp control? Well, I pitched a fit and fired up the pits and cooked off a bunch of that pork. I would like to brew in it before I have to put a heater in it this winter!
Cooper's is my favorite all in the can extract. I like the Cooper's English Bitter, add Cascade at the end of boil. OMG! I have also boosted it with honey. Also good. Cooper's was the first beer I tried, as an easy kit. The instructions are, like, "No worries, mate, you can do this lots of ways," and then they go on to tell you. NO BOIL brewing? Sure! Just use hot water out of the tap. Towel over bucket as the primary? That'll work, too.

I didn't do all those methods, but it made me much less uptight about beer making. A good starting point.

Hmmm, firing off the pit. I have mine all ready to go but farm chores are keeping me from it....

Old 06-15-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 513 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Farm chores...can't see the kitchen counter top for all the squash...last night I was pruning tomatoes and squash plants with a machette while dodging skeeters the size of White Leghorn Chickens in 90 degree heat and 90% humidity. It is a great life if you're strong....or stupid!!

jswordy Likes This 
Old 06-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #8
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
It is a great life if you're strong....or stupid!!
I got both covered.

Brews are still bubbling regularly, so I'm waiting around for my chance to rack. Also waiting on a new calf any day now, so one is going to beat out the other somehow.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #9
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Well, we are in the carboys now. About 11-1/2 gallons of beer total. Taste tests of both are about as expected.

The American Ale yeast in the red is very clean and I may use it a lot more in the future. I like the hops there, too. US Brewers Gold is a favorite, and the Saaz family Tattnang comes through on top. As I thought, it will be a lighter red than I had hoped. Up the black next time, maybe double. But we'll see when it clears. I may get surprised.

The pale is as expected, a sort of Bud Light of ales. Very few lees, due to the lower grain content, I guess. Hopefully good for after hard, hot work and also with the less crafty of my beer drinking friends.

Time to wait around some more now...

(No, the lid is not tight on the gallon. Yes, I have done it like this before and had no worries. )

Old 06-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Still waiting for slow bubbling to stop...

RevA Likes This