Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > Congratulations Pennsylvania!

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4650 Times on 2505 Posts
Likes Given: 1886

Free the Grapes!

Congratulations Pennsylvania! Today, the legislature passed House Bill 1690, which is expected to be signed by Governor Wolf. The “modernization” bill primarily concerns the sale of wine and beer in grocery stores and restaurants, and keeps the state stores. But it also includes winery direct shipping provisions which, if signed, will go into effect in 60 days. The new statute would bring PA into the 21st Century, allowing U.S. wineries to receive a state-issued direct shipping license, to ship up to 36 cases per consumer per year, and to pay excise and sales taxes, among other provisions. These are similar to provisions working successfully in the majority of states. A heartfelt toast to all of you who have written your legislators over the last several years. Thank you, PA!

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

People Like This 
Old 06-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
AZMDTed
Just a guy

Feb 2015
Liked 466 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Well done PA. Now if we could only get Maryland out of the Puritan era and get wine into grocery stores.

People Like This 
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
TonyR

Sep 2014
Liked 148 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I don't think it will happen, the governor will lose to many union votes. It would be nice if it happens

Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009

How could this Bill hurt the Unions? Please explain.

Disclaimer:

Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
Johny99

Sep 2010
Liked 429 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Someday I dream of rational laws across the union that let small wineries be. My hopes are with you PA.

I recognize that unions, COSTCO, and every business has an interest in the rules. But, the rules should not serve any niche, but all. It took years to rework our laws here in Washington, but the growth in the small business since has been great, INMO.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:39 AM   #6
jgmann67
Rennaisance Man

Feb 2015
Liked 841 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
How could this Bill hurt the Unions? Please explain.

By bleeding away the convenience market (e.g. those that are out buying wine for tonight's dinner) from the state store (the only game in town) to grocery stores (who typically sell with pennies' thin profit margin) it will impact the profitability of the system. Most state stores are already not profitable due to the system's inability to obtain product at a decent price; and extraordinarily high administrative and workforce costs.

The unions see this as the beginning of the end for them... The slow, painful death of their own choosing. The tiny string that pulls apart the whole sweater.

A bottle of wine begs to be shared...

Old 06-08-2016, 04:56 AM   #7
Runningwolf
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2009
Liked 2186 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1569

It's not over until the fat lady sings! The state stores are making a high margin on what they sell from the wineries. They have very strict guidelines and are difficult to get your product into them. Employees are all state unionized employees making a ton of money being cashiers and stocking shelves.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #8
TonyR

Sep 2014
Liked 148 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 70

In Pennsylvania all wine and liquor is sold by state owned stores, all of the employees are state employees that are members of the state union. By signing this bill he will be taking work away from the state union ( big time suporters of Dem governor ) it would be putting a nail in the state run system. Don't get me wrong, i live in Pa. And would LOVE to see the state completely out of the booze business with it run by free enterprise with no quotes of licensees and a low 1 time license fee. If it does pass they will make it VERY hard for stores to get the license or to comply with the law. This is Pennsylvania we are talking about after all

Brian55 Likes This 
Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 AM   #9
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009

Well I am pulling for you guys none the less. State run liquor stores in 2016 is insanity. Free the grapes!

Disclaimer:

People Like This 
Old 06-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
Whitehrs
Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and experimenting.

Mar 2016
Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Arkansas laws have not changed since before prohibition. There is a small winery in Door county Wisconsin that I like their blueberry wine, and their pinot Grisio. There is another in the UP of Michigan that I love their honey peach wine. The problem is that I get them, unless I go there buy them and drive back to Arkansas.. The laws here are such that you can not have alcohol shipped to your house, or business from out of state unless you are a licensed distributor, and it is shipped from your distributor. So, I can go to a winery, distillery or brewery in the state of Arkansas and have whatever shipped to my house, but have to be at the location when the items are purchased. I can't call and get it shipped, have to be there physically. Silly. I think it limits the craft makers. They normally have the good stuff anyway, but it is harder for them to distribute.. Instate anyway, they can ship out of state all they want. crazy.