Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Beer Making > An American Marzen

Old 04-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012
Liked 2962 Times on 1293 Posts
Likes Given: 3090

This is probably the last possible week, being so far down heah in the South, that I can get away with a naturally temp-controlled lager ferment, so I have boiled up my version of Marzen and I have it in a 54-degree water bath that is on the concrete floor of my root cellar.

Next up will be to lager it for 3-4 weeks and then see if I can get the bottles to last all the way through until October, when conditions will again get right for a true to form natural Marzen again.

If it doesn't turn out, I am SOL on a natural fermentation for the year. Wish me luck!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #2
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

I checked it yesterday afternoon and it is slowly bubbling. Perfect. It will hit 87 here today, so I hope that water bath and the root cellar keep temps down in the 50s inside the fermenter! I think I'll be good on it, but I would have been better off last week.

Glad it is not in the house, too, since the root cellar smells like rotten eggs (normal, but not something the wife would like in the house).

Old 04-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
RevA

May 2015
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Hi Jim,

Looks good. Any possibility of getting your recipe?

Old 04-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Let's wait and see if it works out first. LOL....

Old 04-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 457 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 295

I bought a brand new freezer and temp control for my beer making...I was so excited to be able to control temps. Then one of my meat freezers dies, I shot a couple of deer, went fishing, and friends gave a us a 4H pig project...new freezer is full already and the garden looks like it will be a bumper crop this year.

Reckon I'll just have to drink wine with my pork and beans!

Ohhh... the last beer I did was a Kolsch. With Joe working my brain on tweaking wine ideas....I pitched the zest from a couple of oranges in the bucket. I called it a Kolschwerks Orange and it's nice, light, crisp and refreshing...finally made a beer my wife likes!

Looking for cheap used fridge for the shop and beer making.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
I bought a brand new freezer and temp control for my beer making...I was so excited to be able to control temps. Then one of my meat freezers dies, I shot a couple of deer, went fishing, and friends gave a us a 4H pig project...new freezer is full already and the garden looks like it will be a bumper crop this year.

Reckon I'll just have to drink wine with my pork and beans!

Ohhh... the last beer I did was a Kolsch. With Joe working my brain on tweaking wine ideas....I pitched the zest from a couple of oranges in the bucket. I called it a Kolschwerks Orange and it's nice, light, crisp and refreshing...finally made a beer my wife likes!

Looking for cheap used fridge for the shop and beer making.
To me, it would not be a legit Marzen if I used a freezer and temp control. I am interested in natural temp control of the ferment.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/M%E4rzen.html

Old 04-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
Mismost

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
To me, it would not be a legit Marzen if I used a freezer and temp control. I am interested in natural temp control of the ferment.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/M%E4rzen.html
Yes Sir, I am interested too. Just ain't gonna happen here in South Texas. We have warm, hot, and hotter....then Summer gets here!

Temp control is just the next step I want to make to try and make better beer. As a side note, I finished out my time in the Army in Germany. It was the memories of those beers that started me brewing and then wine making. Just never really liked BMC industrial American beers even when they were free!

jswordy Likes This 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
Yes Sir, I am interested too. Just ain't gonna happen here in South Texas. We have warm, hot, and hotter....then Summer gets here!

Temp control is just the next step I want to make to try and make better beer. As a side note, I finished out my time in the Army in Germany. It was the memories of those beers that started me brewing and then wine making. Just never really liked BMC industrial American beers even when they were free!
My root cellar is beneath my limestone sided house. It is 65 down there in August when it is 95-plus outside. It's where I store my wine overflow from the Vinotemp.

I'm the other way. I have made wine for years, it is my preferred drink, only made beer for the past year or so. As a sideline, I can make my wine equipment do double duty and still produce great beers. I do not want to become an equipment addict like so many friends I have who are home brewers. If I am going to sink $1,500 to sky's the limit into beer equipment, I'll just go out and buy my beer and save myself a lot of work. Plenty of beer challenges available without spending lots of money.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #9
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Tasted a bit fruity before it went into lagering. I know now I could have done better in my yeast choice; beginner's mistake. We'll see how it is on the other side of lagering. Lager's a whole nother world, especially without the equipment to make it nice and predictable.

Next up is a super-easy British Golden Ale using all extract. I just want to get something to drink in the bottles with this one.

RevA Likes This 
Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Mismost

Aug 2015

I always do taste tests as I move through the process and it never tastes like I think it should! Too sweet, too malty, too hoppy...it amazes me how much the the carb effect changes the flavor of the beer. And serving temps too...I did a Porter that tasted like 3 different beers depending on the temps it was served at...which is OK with me.

I got into wine because I could make my beer equipment do double duty. Besides, it takes a lot of beer to make good wine...gotta have something to sip on for a couple of years!

jswordy Likes This