Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > Lable me "frustrated"

Old 04-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Hokapsig

Sep 2011
Liked 241 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Background - Thanks to Julie, who introduced me to fruit wine making about 5 years ago, I make a tasty (so I am told) Cranberry Pomegranate wine. Goes great with folks that get headaches from the tannin rich grape wines as there is little tannins in this wine. It goes over so good, that now I want to sell this wine commercially.

While 70 gallons were fermenting in the winery, I then turned to getting my labels approved. Initially sending in my labels last year, I put Cranberry Pomegranate on the wine label, complied with the other label regs and submitted my label, hoping this would be a slam dunk. STOP GIGGLING!!!!!

After the obligatory 30 day review, my label was rejected and I was informed by the COLA crew that I needed to get a formula approved before a label could be considered. I protested, informing the TTB that the juice was blended prior to fermentation, thereby eliminating the need for an approved formula. Tough grapes, said the TTB. Give us a formula.

Navigating the FONL website for a newby is by no means easy by someone with my mental capacity. After appealing for assistance from a veteran winery owner (thank you Sam), I finally figured out how to enter the information and submit my formula (after 3 different starts).

After AGAIN waiting the obligatory 30 days for the formula to be approved, my formula came back REJECTED. Rejected with the reasoning that, since this is a fruit wine with preblended juice, a formula was not needed. Cue the blood pressure medication....

I then decided to call the TTB and speak to a customer service agent. After calling 3 times (twice leaving messages to call me back), I was able to speak with a semi-real person today. I explained my plight, and together we reviewed my submissions. The decision was correct - no formula is required for a preblended fruit wine (then why reject it was my question?). I was then instructed to re-submit my label, citing the formula rejection and imploring the TTB to expedite my labels, due to thier misdiagnosis of my wine.

Please note that I was strongly advised to relabel my Cranberry Pomegranate wine as "Cranberry Pomegranate Wine" so as not to confuse people which may be trying to purchase this wine. I am now going to beat my head against a wall in the basement.....

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 01:46 AM   #2
olusteebus

Mar 2012
Liked 601 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

good lord!

Hokapsig Likes This 
Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 AM   #3
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3999 Times on 2424 Posts
Likes Given: 6816

Gub'ment. Gotta love it...

BROAD RUN CELLARS

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 588 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 702

Sorry to hear about all your frustrations. I made you a wine label.

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
bkisel

Jun 2013
Liked 1072 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 1070

Really, I understand your frustration...

How about you spend the first four years after HS serving your country in the USMC. You get out and the IRS hounds you and threatens you for over a year about the ~ $1,400 (if I remember correctly) they say you owe them. The $ $1,400 is actually what they owe you because of taxes being withheld from your service pay while being out of the country for over 18 months - including 8 months in Vietnam! You're at your wits end but finally get to meet with someone at the Veterans Administration to plead your case. About 6 months later a brown envelope appears in the mail with your tax refund. No sorry for the mistake, no sorry for the threats, no thanks for your service, just the refund check - to the penny.

To be sure not all my dealings with bureaucracies have been frustrating but there does seem to be a nature to the beast that oft causes frustrations when dealing with one.

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #6
Floandgary
Bottle at a time

Dec 2012
Liked 304 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 284

Always, Always, ALWAYS get the name of the person you talked with AND a stupidvisors name!!!! You undoubtedly will be dialing that phone # again!

Hokapsig Likes This 
Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 509 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 328

I have to deal with lots of city code guys and other civil servants, bless their hearts!

I have found that quickest way to get rejected is to turn in a perfect set of plans. They can't find anything wrong so they spend weeks trying to find something to justify their very existence or just reject it out right. So, be sure and put in at least one BIG GLARING MISTAKE (my favorite is no fire exit doors!)...just GIVE them something to find, mark up, require you to resubmit. NOW, they have done their job! Sometimes a bit slower is a lot faster. Bless their hearts.

Oh...and your new 30 day waiting period just started over!

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
Runningwolf
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2009
Liked 2162 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Bill I made a mistake today or you to learn from. I realized one I sent in and was just about due for review had a mistake. I pulled it out to make the correction. Big mistake..it now put me another 30 days behind. Wait for them to catch the mistake and they recheck it within 24 hours usually or even the same day.

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
GreginND
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2012
Liked 1282 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Yes, Dan. Leave the mistake - let them flag it and you'll get it back very soon.

I had them reject a new label with the exact same wording of my description as my old label that was approved last year. Didn't matter.

http://4ewinery.com
http://facebook.com/4ewinery

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #10
Julie
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Dec 2009
Liked 1543 Times on 1134 Posts
Likes Given: 2837

Now Bill, seriously! IRS knows how much you bi+ch about doing your taxes so they decided to tell this to TBB

Here is what I have done!

People Like This