Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > Need some help...

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 582 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Texas is experiencing a big growth in Wineries. Here in the Hill Country they are bulldozing out peach orchards and replacing them with grapevines. Yesterday, I heard that there are 30 some odd wineries....NEW WINERIES to be built here in Texas.

I sell metal buildings, which can easily be adapted for use as wineries...hence my interest in new wineries besides the wine!

The problem I am running into, how do I find out about these new wineries BEFORE they are already built? I've started the ground pounding with local Chamber of Commerce, ranch real estate agents, and talking to existing wineries.

You guys make wine because you love it and to make money. I'm the same way about construction, I just love the whole process...pasture to structure! I have doing this for over 40 years and have the best associates in the industry to handle any size project. I WANT to be involved!

Can you guys help with any other source of information? Any industry groups, newsletters, or even direct contacts....or YOU coming to Texas? I need help getting in touch with folks that need to build.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
Tnuscan
Tnuscan=Tennesseean

Mar 2012
Liked 319 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
Texas is experiencing a big growth in Wineries. Here in the Hill Country they are bulldozing out peach orchards and replacing them with grapevines. Yesterday, I heard that there are 30 some odd wineries....NEW WINERIES to be built here in Texas.

I sell metal buildings, which can easily be adapted for use as wineries...hence my interest in new wineries besides the wine!

The problem I am running into, how do I find out about these new wineries BEFORE they are already built? I've started the ground pounding with local Chamber of Commerce, ranch real estate agents, and talking to existing wineries.

You guys make wine because you love it and to make money. I'm the same way about construction, I just love the whole process...pasture to structure! I have doing this for over 40 years and have the best associates in the industry to handle any size project. I WANT to be involved!

Can you guys help with any other source of information? Any industry groups, newsletters, or even direct contacts....or YOU coming to Texas? I need help getting in touch with folks that need to build.
There are 2 ways, by word of mouth and advertisement. Word of mouth only comes from satisfied customers.
Then there is
advertise

advertise

ADVERTISE
Which one got your attention? Do this in the hill country near the other wineries, your future clients will probably be there checking out the countryside before purchasing the land.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #3
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3278 Times on 2081 Posts
Likes Given: 3546

Wineries must go through a lengthy approval process with the TTB. Does anyone know if these applications are public information?
To know how to say what other people only think is what makes men poets and sages; and to dare to say what others only dare to think, makes men martyrs or reformers, or both. Elizabeth Rundle Charles, writer (1828-1896)
My "bucket list" (AKA, what I've made so far....)

Old 04-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #4
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 645 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 737

Quote:
Originally Posted by sour_grapes View Post
Wineries must go through a lengthy approval process with the TTB. Does anyone know if these applications are public information?
What does TTB stand for? I used to live in Texas and worked for what was the largest class B liquor distributor in Texas and I don't recall that acronym. I know we had the TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) back then. (a little over 11 years ago)

Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 3278 Times on 2081 Posts
Likes Given: 3546

The feds: http://www.ttb.gov Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
To know how to say what other people only think is what makes men poets and sages; and to dare to say what others only dare to think, makes men martyrs or reformers, or both. Elizabeth Rundle Charles, writer (1828-1896)
My "bucket list" (AKA, what I've made so far....)

dcbrown73 Likes This 
Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4686 Times on 2522 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

You may wish to become a member and network with the Texas Wine and Grape Growers.

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 04-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 4717 Times on 2801 Posts
Likes Given: 7876

You could also keep an eye on the sale of orchards and farms, then contact the buyers.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #8
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 582 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
You may wish to become a member and network with the Texas Wine and Grape Growers.
Thanks! This is the kind of stuff I was looking for! We have started contacting real estate brokers, area Chamber of Commerce's, ...TTB was not very helpful or at least the person we talked to was not, he seemed to think it was not a matter of public record.

A few of these projects do come up for a public bid process. Most however, seem to just pop up...you find them after construction has started or when they are completed!