Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Special Interest Wines > Sweet Tea Wine

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #81
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 597 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 406

This is an interesting wine...we opened a few bottles over the week end. It was fun to watch the expressions on people's faces when they tried that first sip! Most made a funny face...most said it had a very familiar taste, but they couldn't name it. Most really liked it after it about 1/2 a glass and ALL were surprised and then recognized the taste when I told them it was tea wine.

I stopped at a bigger HBS in Austin and picked some flavorings...gonna try adding them and see what happens. I really think this could be a good base wine to add many different flavors too...like coconut, watermelon, or berries. Too good and cheap to not make again!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #82
BernardSmith

Dec 2011
Liked 810 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 435

How many grams or ounces of tea do you use to a gallon? I am thinking about 32 grams plus or minus (that is about 1 ample oz or about 16 tablespoons of loose leaf )? I ask because I am thinking of making a mead using lapsang souchong tea with some local wildflower honey to make a sultry, smoky mead

Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #83
Mismost

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSmith View Post
How many grams or ounces of tea do you use to a gallon? I am thinking about 32 grams plus or minus (that is about 1 ample oz or about 16 tablespoons of loose leaf )? I ask because I am thinking of making a mead using lapsang souchong tea with some local wildflower honey to make a sultry, smoky mead
I used 21 FAMILY SIZE tea bags...if normal size bags, I would multiply by 3...and I have no idea how much a tea bag weighs or what in the heck lapsang souchong is either!! The tea flavor is pretty light in my wine.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 PM   #84
BernardSmith

Dec 2011

Thanks Mismost. I guess my working assumption is that if the flavor is rich enough for the tea then the flavor is likely rich enough for the wine. That would be around 32 grams for about 16 cups of tea and 16 cups would be 128 fl oz (a US gallon)

Lapsang souchong tea is a black Chinese tea that is smoked. Very unique flavor. Makes a great tea. Hoping that it might make a very interesting mead.

Jericurl Likes This 
Old 07-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #85
BernardSmith

Dec 2011

Tasted the tea wine last night - it is now at .992 and tastes really very good for a wine that is just less than three weeks old. Looking at some of the earlier and other posts where people talk of boiling the tea for about an hour..In Glasgow, where I was born, that would have been called stewed tea and that would not be a compliment. You want to add boiling water to the tea and perhaps allow the tea to steep for 5 to 10 minutes. More than that and you are drinking tannin, not tea. And for what it's worth you want to use the very best tea you can find - not supermarket tea bags filled with tea dust. My next batch will be an oolong tea...

Stressbaby Likes This 
Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #86
Mismost

Aug 2015

I find the flavor to be there, but very faint. Folks taste it and say it has a famieral taste....but they can not place it until you say TEA. Then they pick up on it quick.

I did start with boiling water, added my bags of supermarket "tea dust", let it steep over night, and then into the primary....but I was born in Texas and therefore am unencumbered with preconceived notions on the proper way to make tea. But, I do know better than to drink it hot with milk. ;-)

Now, we have been adding those Crystal Lite tubes of drink mixes...Rashberry, Peach, Mango, Lemonaide...one tube to a bottle. I am sure this violates numerous serious wine drinking sensibilities but it is real fine on a 100 degree deck by the pool.

People Like This