Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Vineco Passport Pinot Gris F-pack

Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #1
jsiddall

Oct 2013
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I placed the F-pack included in the Passport Pinot Gris on a scale and found it weighed nearly 1.1 kg. Assuming the bag w/cap don't weigh too much that is the better part of a liter of liquid. I read on one of the other threads that the Showcase Pinot Gris only has something like a 200 ml F-pack, and that it wasn't noticeably sweet. Both are listed as off-dry, but the really large F-pack in the Passport kit makes me worried it may come across as noticeably sweet.

Has anyone made a white with a large F-pack? Did it turn out off-dry?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
ibglowin

Jul 2009
Liked 3546 Times on 2025 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

I have made 4-5 now with the large f-pack like what you describe. I always add about 1/2 of the f-pack to the primary up front then hold the other half back and add at the end as per instructions. I like my whites with just a hint of residual sweetness and this amount works very well for me.

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
cpfan

Nov 2006
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 35

The large F-pack may contain juice, and the small one liquid invert sugar. The juice would need to be larger to sweeten the same amount as the invert sugar. (At least in terms of some of the F-packs that I have seen.) Sorry I have made neither of these kits.

Steve

Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
jsiddall

Oct 2013
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpfan View Post
The large F-pack may contain juice, and the small one liquid invert sugar. The juice would need to be larger to sweeten the same amount as the invert sugar. (At least in terms of the some of the F-packs that I have seen.) Sorry I habe made neither of these kits.
Good point Steve. The F-pack is relatively opaque, and does look a lot like the juice itself. This is the first white kit I have done so perhaps I will resist the temptation to tweak and just go by the instructions.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #5
cpfan

Nov 2006
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiddall View Post
Good point Steve. The F-pack is relatively opaque, and does look a lot like the juice itself. This is the first white kit I have done so perhaps I will resist the temptation to tweak and just go by the instructions.
The question is...how do you like your wine? The Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer comes with a Suss Reserve (fancy term for a juice F-pack). We are diabetic and like the wine dry anyway, so add the Suss Reserve to the primary.

I would probably add that extra juice to the fermenter.

Steve