What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sour-pickles-2/

I have this guys book Wild Fermentationhttp://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wil...=pla&ean=9781931498234&isbn=9781931498234&r=1

The above 2 recipes are from that book. It is a good read. I ferment all kinds of things.

RR
RegionRat, Now you have done it! I went to the local grocery this morning and came home with several heads of cabbage and a box of Kosher salt, Then I hit the local flea market where the nice Mexican produce seller had pint baskets of Habanero and Ghost peppers for a buck each and large red bell peppers for 50 cents each. I now have a batch of kraut fermenting and a half gallon of pepper sauce fermenting!
Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed reading the site and will be ordering the book.
I could not find any small cucumbers to make the pickles but I will be in the future.
Happy Fermenting!

RegionRat, Now you have done it! I went to the local grocery this morning and came home with several heads of cabbage and a box of Kosher salt, Then I hit the local flea market where the nice Mexican produce seller had pint baskets of Habanero and Ghost peppers for a buck each and large red bell peppers for 50 cents each. I now have a batch of kraut fermenting and a half gallon of pepper sauce fermenting!
Thanks for the link! I really enjoyed reading the site and will be ordering the book.
I could not find any small cucumbers to make the pickles but I will be in the future.
Happy Fermenting!

After you read the book get back to us and tell us what you think. I think this is going to open a new chapter in your life.

I grow most of the things I ferment. After it ferments out I can. But there is nothing like fresh out of the fermenter. The pepper sauce I make ferments the I age it like wine for 6 to 8 months. Then I blend it with vinegar. The best ever! Here is a link to something along the way I do it. Pepper sauce

Here is a batch of pickles I just started.pickles.jpg

RR

Last edited:
Busy evening!
I racked and adjusted the acidity on my Chianti, 5 gallons, it was just a bit flat, I am very pleased now
I racked the Pinot Noir, 5 gallons, extremely pleased with this wine, a real nice fruit forward and just enough acidity.
I racked the Lambrusco, 5 gallons, this was in need of degassing, real bad.
I racked the Tropical Daze , 8 gallons, this was in desperate need of degassing, several passes with the Allinone and that was taken care of, stabilized it and added sparkolloid.
I'm picking up 30 lbs of raw honey tomorrow, going to order another Red Ale kit, the honey in the secondary tweak was amazing! These two cases have moved real fast, everyone loves it! This time....I'll keep it on the down low....lol
I may have to start another batch of Berry Bliss Melomel, keep the inventory stocked!

RegionRat and to those who posted about fermenting foods.

I copied those posts and started a thread under Foods & Pairings. I found these posts very interesting and felt they needed their own little thread.

RegionRat and to those who posted about fermenting foods.

I copied those posts and started a thread under Foods & Pairings. I found these posts very interesting and felt they needed their own little thread.

Thanks Julie.

I was like WTH. Morning coffee is just now starting to kick in and I do not remember starting a thread last nigh. I had to go look and see how many empty wine bottle there were. It would not have been the first time, lol.

I didnt mean to hijack that thread. If I would have though there would be that much interest I would have started a thread.

RR

Last edited:
Last night, I got the Dragon Blood racked and backsweetened. Today, I'm wondering what happened to the snowstorm we were supposed to get. As late as 10am yesterday, they were calling for 2-4 inches of snow where I live. Guess what? NOT ONE FLAKE!

Last night, I got the Dragon Blood racked and backsweetened. Today, I'm wondering what happened to the snowstorm we were supposed to get. As late as 10am yesterday, they were calling for 2-4 inches of snow where I live. Guess what? NOT ONE FLAKE!

Well I think we got it here! Went to bed and seen nothing on the news about any accumulation and go up to about 2" of snow and dam cold out!!!!

It's a tad chilly being on metal scaffolding 30 feet in the air with a nice breeze blowing from the river.

Since the boss has a jewelry party to go to tonight, I will work on adjusting some pH's and backsweetening and getting ready to teach Construction Safety tomorrow.

Bought and started a Cheeky Monkey Shiraz today. Tomorrow I am off to try to catch some Whitefish and Perch through the ice. :h

Racked and filtered 8 gallons of Berry Bliss Melomel, boy this stuff is great, it turned out a bit darker using 17 lbs of fruit for 8 gallons. I cannot stress enough how much help the Allinone pump has been!
You Rock Steve!!

Just got home from a party with neighbors. Apparently the wine was a big hit with my friend.

image-3701457809.jpg

Training completed, ran the bank and was asked for more wine, went to wife's Christmas party (finally) and was asked "where was the wine". Getting up early tomorrow to go and assist the local meadery in bottling.

Got three batches to rack today.
My candy cane...from primary to secondary
Skeeter pee needs another rack...and stabilizing.
WE Riesling Ice Style kit needs to be rack...I think it was stuck or slowed down due to the temp. in my basement down to 63F. It said to rack off lees at 1.060 or less after 10 days. It was still at 1.068 after 10 days.
I have to check it this morning after Church.

Last edited:
Just cleaned 26 bottles and sanitized. Thinking of racking the cranberry pee and stabilizing. Need to see if I have a 3 liter bottle first. Could be a good reason to back sweeten come catawba. I saw a 3 liter bottle that needed racked of the diamonds while i was cleaning bottles. Hmmmm Decisions Decision.....

Going to clean the house also. Was kind of bummed when I looked in the fridge to find out my wife took the extra rack of ribs from last night's dinner to her sisters. Had to make due with a turkey sandwhich instead of leftover ribs......Just wasn't what I was looking for.

Yesterday I bottled my strawberry lychee and today I capped and labeled the bottles. Now the aging starts....

Helped to bottle 35 gallons of Mead at Laurel Highlands Meadery in Greensburg, PA. Thanks to Matt for allowing me to help. I invited Matt along to the western PA meeting at Luva Bella on March 30.

Got to put out more carboys tonight to take advantage of the weather for cold stabilizing.

Added my Cranberry concentrate to the Lime Pee, it's officially Cranberry Lime at this point. Need to allow it to settled out a few weeks then I'll back sweeten any additional amount and bottle.

Bottled the RJS Super Tuscan and the WE Amarone with skins. Will label them tonight. Will Rack WE Matador Trio Red off of clearing lees later also.

Latest posts

Back