Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Packlab Cornucopia Pear/Chard....

Old 11-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
anthony

Jan 2010
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi Everyone,

I picked myself up a cheapo Cornucopia Pear/Chardonnay to make some table wine for next summer and had a question about the "pear" juice that comes with the kit along with the wine concentrate.

I'm not interested in making a sweet wine so I will NOT be following the instructions and adding the pear juice after the fermentation period. Ideally, I would just like to add ALL the juice together for the fermentation, tweak it a bit with bananas for body, and ferment it out to a dry wine. BUT, my concern is that there might be some sort of sorbate in the pear juice additive that would hinder the initial fermentation since it is a "post-fermentation additive".

Long story short, does anyone know if the companies usually add sorbates or any sort of inhibitor to the additive juices?

Thanks for any info or advice....

Old 11-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
dralarms
Overboard as usual
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2012
Liked 744 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Imade the same kit last year. You have to add sorbate according to the instructions so I think you would be ok.

anthony Likes This 
Old 11-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
anthony

Jan 2010
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you sir! Were you able to get a "serviceable" wine out of this? Did it have much "kit taste"?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
dralarms
Overboard as usual
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2012
Liked 744 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Nope. No kit taste. I though it was a little thin but every body else loved it.

anthony Likes This 
Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
SouthernChemist
Professor

Nov 2011
Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I doubt the F-pack has sorbate in it as the kit should include its own pack of sorbate. There should be an ingredient label that lists what's in it separately from the rest of the kit. You might find you have to add some sugar to the must to get the alcohol level up to the level of a table wine...I'm not sure if the F-pack alone would be enough as these kits are intended to be more the equivalent of wine coolers than wines. Just don't expect much of a quality chardonnay taste to it when it's all done.

anthony Likes This 
Old 11-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
GaDawg

Sep 2012
Liked 294 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I have bottled this kit in the past 6 weeks. I added 5lbs of sugar (SS) to the primary and 2Tbls of wine tannins. It's very sweet, but I made it for friends that don't drink wine.

I do not think the wine is high enough quality to support all the F-pack in the primary. I believe if you want a cheep summer wine you may be better off with something like a Vino Italiano Chardonnay. http://www.amazon.com/Vino-Italiano-...=pd_sim_gro_12

Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
anthony

Jan 2010
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm stuck with this kit for now and will probably ferment everything together along with 6-7 bananas in a straining bag and a combination of supermarket juice concentrates and sugar to get the S.G. up to around 1.080. After fermenting it dry, I might even put it on light oak for a month just to try and make it a respectable (if not worthy) addition to next summer's picnics....

Old 11-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
bkov

Dec 2012

what if you just add the fpack a couple days before the sorbate...give it a chance to ferment but probably not all the way

Old 11-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
bkov

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawg View Post
I have bottled this kit in the past 6 weeks. I added 5lbs of sugar (SS) to the primary and 2Tbls of wine tannins. It's very sweet, but I made it for friends that don't drink wine.

I do not think the wine is high enough quality to support all the F-pack in the primary. I believe if you want a cheep summer wine you may be better off with something like a Vino Italiano Chardonnay. http://www.amazon.com/Vino-Italiano-...=pd_sim_gro_12
you think that kit would be good to keg and serve sparkling?

Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
GaDawg

Sep 2012
Liked 294 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
you think that kit would be good to keg and serve sparkling?
I have not made a sparkling wine, but I have that kit on deck