Originally Posted by jcag
Ok. My second post. I put this somewhere else then found this thread, so excuse me if this has been discussed before. I have found a very easy way to remove stubborn non-water based glue labels-original or aftermarket. Fill the bottle with nearly boiling water and wait a few minutes. Pull up an edge of the label with a razor blade and pull it slowly with your fingers. The heat softens the glue and the label will peel off cleanly. If any glue remains, i clean it with a small dab of glass stove top cleaner on a blue scotch brite pad.
For the final gummy stuff I use a little 'recorsol' paint thinner on a cloth and steel wool.
A little dab on the cloth goes a long way - will clean up a case of 12.
Or steel wool the label off too - usually soak in the sink but i will try soaking /filling in the hottest water.
Thanks for the tip
I use bleach. the hot water rinse - then disinfect with sulphide or the pink stuff - then hot water rinse. Hang bottles upside down to drip dry
Then probably use bottle a month later is no bleach left.
I doubt any bleach after effect remains.
Bleach will kill any mould or anything.
I don't use bleach on plastic carboy or anything that will leave bleach residue.
My plastic carboy is never get dirty. I clean it immediate. always stays clean.
As DoctorCAD said, you should not be using bleach around any winemaking equipment or area. What you really want to do is sanitize not disinfect.
depends what's in the bottle or whatever maybe something does need to be killed or disinfected.
Nothing wrong with bleach so long as all trace is gone when the process is over. the way i do it no trace of vleach is left.is left.