Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Packlab Tweaked Vino Italiano Cabernet Sauv kit

Old 04-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
CBell

Apr 2013
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Wine is dry at .992, currently drinking the contents of my wine thief. Yeasty, opaque, not de-gassed, and with an alcohol bite. However, terrible smell, whatever it was, has faded. And, this stuff is drinkable. I added a handful of oak chips in secondary, has only been on the oak for 5 days. Considerable amount of lees, though, so planning to re-rack,de-gas add K-Meta, and fining agents that came with the kit on Monday 4/29. Definite blackberry undertones and I am beginning to see this wine's potential. Obviously still has a long way to go, but I'm not writing it off yet.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
beisang

Feb 2013

What kind of raisin do you use?

Any other cab kits you recommend.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
pjd
Wine Lover

Sep 2011
Liked 336 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 972

I just finished a bottle of Vino Italiano Cabernet Sauvignon that I made November 2010. No tweaks except for some oak cubes placed in the carboy after fermentation. It was good, probably slightly past its peak. Its my opinion that these kits are best at the 12 to 18 month age. I have aged some to 3 years but most seem to be the best at 1 to 1-1/2 years old. They will never be confused with a 20 dollar bottle of wine but are certainly better than any less than 10 dollar store brands.

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food"

W. C. Fields

Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
CBell

Apr 2013

I just used a pound of sunmaid raisins, any raisins should be fine as long as there are no preservatives.

Phil, good to know, mine will be bulk aging for a few months and then bottle aging the rest of the way. Haven't tasted since that last racking but interested to sneak a taste in the next week or two to see how this kit is progressing

Cheers

Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
olusteebus

Mar 2012
Liked 645 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 1204

I made a cabernet/blackberry jam combo using Alexanders cabernet juice. It was a recipe I got from Longtrain. It is probably the best overall wine I have made to date. You will enjoy that.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
CBell

Apr 2013

Took a taste tonight from bulk aging. Have been aging with med. toast french oak chips. Has been oaking about a month and the oak flavor was a little past where I would like it. Planning to rerack off the oak this weekend. Overall impressed with this kit so far though, will know more once the oak flavors mellow some. Will probably taste again toward the end of summer. Again, making several quick drinkers so am in NO HURRY for this kit. SP and OB kits can be drunk in the mean time and I can taste this every few months. Hopefully I can give some of this blackberry cab away as Xmas gifts and it will be delicious. All my friends from work who have generously donated bottles have been nagging me for when they can have a bottle and I keep putting them off, wanting to have something better than a quick drinker to offer them.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
kevinlfifer

Jan 2012
Liked 180 Times on 106 Posts

I have tweaked several of the paklab kits, and have yet to have a bad one. The basis of my most recent tweaks are Zante currants, and Alexander concentrates instead of sugar to bring up SG to 1.10.

For a Red Zin I used 8 oz of dried cherries and 8 oz of Zante Currants with Red ZIn conc. It turned out quite nice. With the conc. you can go over 6 gal and not be watery.

I've been getting these off Ebay RESERVE DU CHATEAU

All that said any RJS Winery Series stomps all over the best Paklab kit.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
andy123

Dec 2007
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I was about to post something unpleasant about Vino Italiano kits but decided to do a taste test first. Yep it is wine. After a year of aging this Barolo I'd have to say it is about average for the $1.50 a bottle category.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
LeChat
Banned

Dec 2012
Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy123 View Post
I was about to post something unpleasant about Vino Italiano kits but decided to do a taste test first. Yep it is wine. After a year of aging this Barolo I'd have to say it is about average for the $1.50 a bottle category.
Andy, have you made any tweaks to your Barolo?

The reason I ask is that I have made 4 of those kits so far (the brand vino europa that is sold at costco in canada) and the first two were made as per the instuctions. Right after bottling, I was quite disappointed in them and found them to be incredibly lacking in body. After 6-9 months, the flavor greatly improved but the body was still lacking. I ended up pleasantly surprised by the last bottle.

The other two that I am making have had several tweaks that should significantly improve their body. I am expecting that they will be pretty good at 6 months....

Old 05-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
andy123

Dec 2007
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 26

LeChat I agree time heals many of a wines wounds. And I suspect your brick and mortar Costco has better quality control than does Amazon's, push this old inventory, bargains. And Canada is more driven in wine making due to your taxation. My only tweak was to add a little concentrate for body as it is only a 7 liter kit and a supposedly muddy varietal. All the same my $90 to $110 kits yield a better end product. Vino Italiano reminds me of 2 buck Chuck.