Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Special Interest Wines > True Blood

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
ShawnDTurner

Mar 2011
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OH Yeah,
So I modified the Dragon Blood Recipe, for a 3 1/2 gallon batch. I am calling mine TRU BLOOD!!!!!!!!

I am using 8 lbs of fruit all frozen and then thawed, (Dark Cherries 24 oz, 3 lb of Triple Blend, 1 lb of Strawberries, 1 lb raspberries. 4 ripe Bananas. The Dark Sweet Cherries make it Blood Red!

Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized 5 gallon primary, add---in this order:

(24 oz of 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle):
Water to about 3 1/2 gallons
9 lbs of white granulated sugar (SG achieved 1.085 after filling to 3 1/2 gallons
1 tsp. tannin (stir) Used 3 Tea bags in about 2 cups of water
3 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
1 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir) for One hour with fruit before pitched yeast.
Top water to 3 (1/2) gallons* and stir well
Test SG (looking for a SG around 1.085)

2 lbs. of Triple Berry Blend (raspberry/blackberry/blueberry)
Dark Cherries 24 oz, 1 lb of Strawberries, 1 lb raspberries. 4 ripe Bananas.

I am hold back 1 lb of the Triple Berry Blend to add it once the S.G. get to 1.020.

People Like This 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
ShawnDTurner

Mar 2011

Update forgot the type of yeast Lavlin D47

Old 01-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
rezod11

Oct 2012
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Well, I have not gotten to the point that I can start my own DB or True Blood, but I'm close enough to you that I'd be willing to taste it for you when it's done. You know, just so you can have another opinion

Sounds delicious though! Good luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean

Nov 2012
Liked 885 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 723

What is the purpose of adding the rest of the berries when the SG drops instead of up front? I have noticed more and more recipes are doing it that way.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
GreginND
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2012
Liked 1420 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineforfun View Post
What is the purpose of adding the rest of the berries when the SG drops instead of up front? I have noticed more and more recipes are doing it that way.
I am speculating here but I would think that you might get a fresher berry extraction if you add some later in the fermentation. The alcohol will help extract flavors as well and some of those components will not have been acted on by yeast. The flavor profile should be a little different.

Interested to hear what others with more experience doing this say.

http://4ewinery.com
http://facebook.com/4ewinery

Old 02-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Deezil
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2010
Liked 418 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 609

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreginND View Post
I am speculating here but I would think that you might get a fresher berry extraction if you add some later in the fermentation. The alcohol will help extract flavors as well and some of those components will not have been acted on by yeast. The flavor profile should be a little different.
Pretty much..

The alcohol helps to pull all the goodies from the fruit (which pectic enzyme does pre-fermentation, alcohol does during fermentation) and the yeast dont have the heat or stamina to help transform the flavors within the secondary addition that they do during the first half of fermentation, leaving a more "original" fruit impact on the wine, added to the flavors that have been altered through the fermentation process

A Journey in a Journal

Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
ShawnDTurner

Mar 2011

That is correct Greg.. I ended up adding an additional 8 lbs of fruit once the S..G. got to 1.020. The Alcohol does the extraction vs the Yeast so less volatile...The Yeasties are the end of the fermentation or close and not aggressive. I leave them in there for 10-12 days. If you have yet to try this give it a go. I have to thank JOESWINE for the insight. He schooled me on making an Amarone this way!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
dangerdave
Chief Bottlewasher

Jul 2011
Liked 718 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 623

Very interesting! I'll have to try a Dragon Blood this way. I love trying new variations, which lead to possible improvements. Since I always have "basic" Dragon Blood on hand, I can easily compare. Right now, I have a DB clearing, to which I added raisins and bananas. I should be able to taste test and back sweeten this weekend.

My Labels
Danger's Lab...Keep Out!!!

"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" Galileo Gallilei

Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
ShawnDTurner

Mar 2011

Dave........I just filtered using the Bono Vino Mini-jet and bottled. Going to let them rest awhile before drinking, allow them to get over the bottle shock a bit. I tasted it during bottling, it is drinkable now but, it will certainly improve with a little time

Old 10-21-2016, 03:36 AM   #10
winehomie

Oct 2016
Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am planning to make this in the very near future, could anyone give me a close approximation on how many lemons it would take to get 24 oz of fresh lemon juice, and if I would need more/less of fresh over bottled?