Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Wine Kitz ready to rack and clear....

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
rosshazer

Sep 2012

Its says to add more metabisulphite powder if i want to age more then six months...i bought tablets....do i just crush them up

Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
TonyP

Apr 2012
Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No. Wine making is both art and science, but using chemicals is the science part of it. So, you need some precision. And we need more information. I assume the tablets are Campden Tablets. As a general rule you add 1 tablet per gallon - 6 gallons, 6 tablets. However, you didn't say what wine you're making, whether you added any k-meta yet and how long you intend to age. All that would help us answer fully.

Tony P.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Minnesotamaker
Pee Meister

Apr 2010
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Tony has some good questions. As for the crushing tablets thing, metabisulfite is available in powder or tablet form. But keep in mind that they aren't interchangeable when measuring. The powder form is more concentrated than crushed tablet dust. I bought a pill crusher at the dollar store and it works great to crush campden tablets.