Beginning a Winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update. I got an email address right away after a few phone calls. Two weeks later she began the process. A week after that she called asking for my soc #. The following day I was approved. I was expecting it to be more difficult. Now I just have to get the septic and well finished up and we'll be good to go.

want to start one in my retirement in Indiana!! A winery restaurant!! I live in a huge log home up on a hill with big porches and big views!! I can see it set with all kinds of table, I even have a porch fire place. this place if perfect!! Im a published cook. Its my dream!! Gift shop, Wine classes and everything!!

want to start one in my retirement in Indiana!! A winery restaurant!! I live in a huge log home up on a hill with big porches and big views!! I can see it set with all kinds of table, I even have a porch fire place. this place if perfect!! Im a published cook. Its my dream!! Gift shop, Wine classes and everything!!
So I guess you will never retire..................... All that comes with huge time investments.

Especially a restaurant on top of a winery. That is like having 2 businesses. My dad was a cook for over 20 years with experience in many of the top restaurants in STL. When we were looking at starting the winery, he said, "We are not doing a restaurant!" lol

lol. This must have been the night I had to much dragons Blood. I do have a book in the works but I mean published as on some website recipe places. :) I would love to start a winery and I do live in a large Log home up on a hill with views that would be perfect for it

It wouldnt be a full menu restaurant. this is whats for dinner tonight kinda thing. there are several in my area that do really well. well all within 50 miles of me anyway

Its just a dream anyway. If My husband has anything to say about it, it will never happens. No way he's gonna let stranger trample all over this place. lol

I through wine in about everything I cook.
Drunken Spaghetti is a family favorite. Boil the Spaghetti in water and a whole bottle of red wine. Julia's famous Beef Bourguignon but mostly a simple wine sauce.

Brown what ever meat your cooking in a a little oil and set aside.. I use this on venison cube steaks a lot but it works well with a lot of meats
Add 2 tbs of extra virgin olive oil to the same pan
add 1 Chopped large shallot
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup sweet red wine
squeeze in some fresh lemon and some times a litle zest
reduce by half add 2 tablespoons butter to finish then drizzle over meat before serving

for fish use a white wine

Last edited:
On the subject of licensing for those of you still struggling with that, we just finished the process for our winery in WV. We actually used a law firm in VA that specializes in TTB compliance to get us through the process. It took us 2 1/2 months but was fairly straightforward with the law firm's help. The bond is one of the critical components.

I have a question on presses for you all. We are starting a winery in the next year, building will go up next fall, produce wine the year after, and are looking to start buying some equipment now.

What is the minimum size bladder press needed to get going on a 2,500 gallon winery? I'm looking at the Zambelli 300L press, but don't want something too small right out of the gate.

Thanks in advance.

We are making about 5000 bottles of wine this year and I have a 40 liter bladder press. I think your 300 liter model will be more than enough.

It depends on the size of your average pressing. The larger presses are more difficult with very small batches as you need to inflate the bladder some before putting the grapes in. I have a 250 liter bladder press and it works well for me with about your planned size. (By the way it cost half as much as the Zambelli and is solid stainless). Here is a link to a supplier - I am no way endorsing this particular company they just have the pertinent information for your consideration. http://www.oescoinc.com/orchard-nur...n-vspi-x250-water-operated-bladder-press.html

lancman-vspix250.jpg

I have a question on presses for you all. We are starting a winery in the next year, building will go up next fall, produce wine the year after, and are looking to start buying some equipment now.

What is the minimum size bladder press needed to get going on a 2,500 gallon winery? I'm looking at the Zambelli 300L press, but don't want something too small right out of the gate.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you located at in Nebraska?

Thanks for the input guys. Grapeman, I think that will work for us and at that price we can always upgrade as we get bigger. We are located 45 miles south of York, NE.

I followed grapeman's links to the TTB website. I found something interesting that I did not know about.

The "Custom Crush" seemed like an interesting concept. For those who may not know what it is:

You supply ALL the needed materials, for example, grapes/fruit, any other ingredients, bottle, labels ect, ect and transportation to and from and already bonded facility/working winery. They do all the "work" for you to your specs from beginning to end, fermentation to bottling. After that you are responsible for the rest.

You have to, of course, get certified through the proper gov't agencies first but it seems like a cheaper way to break into the wine industry.

Upon doing some research I found multiple places here on Long Island, NY that do this. Anyone familiar with Long Island knows that there are about 30 wineries in a 30 mile stretch of road.

Here is a little map: http://www.liwines.com/?page_id=14

There are 2 winemakers in Williamsburg Brooklyn that have started out this way and seem pretty successful. They have their wine made off site by an already established facility and sell it in Brooklyn.

http://bkwinery.com/

http://www.brooklynoenology.com/

Anyway, does anyone on this forum have any experience trying this or starting out a business in this way?

WOO HOO!!! We were awarded our TTB license FINALLY. The 65 days that the website stated took a little over 5 months. Now, it's on to the PA LCB to get the state license. After that, the scarey part starts.....

Latest posts

Back