Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > Beginning a Winery

Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Julie
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Dec 2009
Liked 1597 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 2904

We have a couple of wineries in our area that get their juice from Presque Isle, they make it on their premises, bottle it and sell it.

I actually was thinking of doing a ferment on premises with winemaking classes.

Here is what I have done!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1131 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade E View Post
I know there are a few places around lik e Brew on premise places that can sell the wine they make from kits. That would be a damn good deal. I think High Gravity Brewing just did this a month ago.
The Feds would let us do that here, but not the state.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Runningwolf
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2009
Liked 2166 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 1567

Julie I have heard great things about those wineries and have met or worked with a few of them. I am hoping to get down there to visit them some day soon. Have you gone to Doug's friends winery (Kavic winery). That would be a great one for you to talk to.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Julie
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Dec 2009
Liked 1597 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningwolf View Post
Julie I have heard great things about those wineries and have met or worked with a few of them. I am hoping to get down there to visit them some day soon. Have you gone to Doug's friends winery (Kavic winery). That would be a great one for you to talk to.
Dan, if you are able to come down some day, let me know, i'll take you around. Rustic Acres is very small but totally awesome. There is another one called The Vineyard by Mellon, this guy sells his grapes to Presque Isle and then their is Narcissi and Volant. The only winery around here that I will not take you to is Winfield Winery, this guy is a total jerk and the last time i had any of his wines they had a watery taste to them. He would be the type to add water to a finished wine to increase the volume.

Here is what I have done!

Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Runningwolf
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2009
Liked 2166 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 1567

Narcissi and Kavik are first on my list. I'll let you know.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #16
winemaker_3352

Feb 2010
Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I would be curious as to what licenses i would need to start up a winery. I know all states will vary on this, but is there a general idea of the licensing you would need??

Jon - My Wine List

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go astray.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:58 AM   #17
shoebiedoo

Aug 2011
Liked 113 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I've done some checking on this here in Columbus, Ohio. Rocky and I just went to a FOP yesterday and they also make and sells their own wine. I am also looking into opening an FOP for when I retire (or sooner). I know the license is fairly cheap, but I don't know what the availibility is. It sounded to me, that keeping the department of Health happy was the hard part.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #18
ffemt128

Dec 2009
Liked 546 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningwolf View Post
Julie, If you want me to get Dr Kavic's contact info for you I'm sure I could do that. He could be a wealth of information.

FERMCALC

Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #19
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1131 Times on 754 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by winemaker_3352 View Post
I would be curious as to what licenses i would need to start up a winery. I know all states will vary on this, but is there a general idea of the licensing you would need??
First you need a Basic Permit from the TTB - go the the link in post #2 I think it was. Early on you shoul also check with your local government such as town. You might need a variance depending on codes in place. Once they give you a preliminary OK, go to the state website and look for an information packet. That should tell you what you need. Here we deal with the State Liquor Authority and we need to fill out the "wholesaler winery " license which really makes little sense. That gives us the right to bypass the normal distribution network as we are our own distributor.
Good luck.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
Midwest Vintner
Wino

Aug 2009
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by winemaker_3352 View Post
Somewhat depends on what you want to do. Like Grapeman posted, you need a license from the TTB first, but if you are doing a vineyard and want to do 85% Missouri product, you can choose to go by state regulations. I'm not exactly sure what all is involved down that road, but it is very different. See if you are doing that, you are state regulated vs federal regulated. Either way you need fed and state licenses, then if you want to have a tasting room (not just go through some distributor, which is a license again if you want to do that yourself) you will need a retail liqour license from the state too and you will need to have your premise bonded by an insurance company. Then there is county licenses and city (if applicable). If you want to look at what is needed, you can always stop by here....

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16767
Making unique wines. We threw away the box years ago! :)