Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Special Interest Wines > Skittle Wine

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
robie

Mar 2010
Liked 199 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have never tried to make or drink any of these candy wines.
The Skettle wine sounds fun.
I love the taste of butterscotch, so how does it taste as a wine? Do you have the recipe?

Keep us updated.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
tjbryner

Jun 2010
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'll add the recipe for the butterscotch and spearmint here in a day or 2.
All 3 are really good.

Skittle's taste just like a handful of the candy, Just very fruity.

The spearmint has a really COLD feel to it at the very end. Kinda of hard to describe.

Butterscotch is a little light on body, But has a simple hint of butterscotch that lingers for just a second. Next batch I'm going to play with some roasted Oak, I think this will complement it.

Now keep in mind these are VERY young wines that I have never done before, So they might change with time.

I'd post more but my well died today and I'm working on a new one, More to come later.

TJ

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
twistedvine
Tony (Twisted Vine)

Jun 2010
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbryner View Post
All 3 are really good.

The spearmint has a really COLD feel to it at the very end. Kinda of hard to describe.

Butterscotch is a little light on body, But has a simple hint of butterscotch that lingers for just a second. Next batch I'm going to play with some roasted Oak, I think this will complement it.

Now keep in mind these are VERY young wines that I have never done before, So they might change with time.

I'd post more but my well died today and I'm working on a new one, More to come later.

TJ
As a plumber, I hope it wasn't actually your "WELL" that died (very costly to dig a new well). Hopefully you only need a pressure switch/tank or pump...

Good Luck

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #14
tjbryner

Jun 2010
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedvine View Post
As a plumber, I hope it wasn't actually your "WELL" that died (very costly to dig a new well). Hopefully you only need a pressure switch/tank or pump...
Good Luck
Thanks Twistedvine,

Done some testing and seems the well has filled up about 15 feet with silt and the pump is now at the "bottom" of the well. Going to try and clean the well out, if that fails I Have a new one drilled this spring when the weather breaks.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
DavidB

Feb 2010
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
All 3 are really good.

TJ
Know your busy with the well and stuff, but the recipes for these wines would be really great if you get the time! Wife wants me to make the butterscotch this weekend.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #16
twistedvine
Tony (Twisted Vine)

Jun 2010
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Depending on how deep your well is and were the water table sits, they may be able to just raise your pump...good luck

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
Redtrk
Winemaking dysfunctional

Jul 2010
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just finished mixing up one gallon of Skittles wine. This is going to be sweet.

I now have several batches of wine going. Look what you all have done to me! Bahahaha!!!!!

...and in the end, it's not the years in your life,
but rather the life in your years.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
Redtrk
Winemaking dysfunctional

Jul 2010
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Ok I have 2 gallons going o9f skittle wine going, I raked it off last night and I'm now getting ready to do at least 5 gallons more.

The color is a muddy brown but does it ever smell and taste good.

I used danda's recipe but doubled it for the 2 gallons. I added the recipe and converted it to ounces and pounds.
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/...1&postcount=15

All Ingredients are per gallon
3/4 pounds of skittles
2 1/4 pounds of sugar
8.4 oz grape concentrate
1 tsp pectolase
Tannin
Nutrient
1 tsp acid blend or citric acid
Yeast

Pour the Skittles in a jug or bowl, pour over 2 pints of boiling water. Make sure that it boiling as you need to kill off all the preservatives.
Keep stirring, it will go into a gooey stodge but it will dissolve
add the sugar.
When cool to room temperature add the rest of ingredients
Put into a clean demi john.
Top up to shoulders of demi john with cold water. Fit an airlock and leave to ferment. This may take a few days or a couple of weeks depending on the temperature.
During this time you will get a orangey colour scum, this is ok.
When the bubbles stop coming through the airlock, or slow down to about one every 2 minutes.
Siphon off into a clean demi john. You may need to strain the wine to get rid of some bits left over.
Add 1 campden tablet and potassium sorbate.
Leave to clear.
When clear, siphon into a clean demi john or bottle.
Leave it a couple of weeks then add a campden before bottling.
Quote:

If you make a batch of this you will get a kinda of white scum on top, It is a pain to clean out of a carboy!! It's more of a waxy feel to it.

SO I recommend that you you keep this in a primary bucket till you get rid of this scum. (about 2nd racking)

While I was racking my Spearmint Candy and Butterscotch candy wines, I thought I better post about the white waxy scum so no one dumps theirs.

Okay I did as directed all the above but it in a bucket as a primary not glass. My question is this. Since it needs to ferment do I really want to follow the directions listed above in sealing it up with an airlock on it?
According to what I've been learning on here we want to leave it loose of cover with cheesecloth to let the air get to it.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #19
Runningwolf
Super Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Mar 2009
Liked 2186 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1571

You can leave it loose. Next we're going to have wade making some Spongebob wine!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #20
Redtrk
Winemaking dysfunctional

Jul 2010
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I'm about 5 days into fermentation. About where should the SG be on this when it's ready to transfer?