Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > First batch of the 2017

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
geek

Sep 2012
Liked 1142 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 1883

I always wonder about the taste of a honey mead....
Let's see if we can swap a bottle when we swap the vanilla fig port?

Don Amado Cellars

Old 01-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
Jericurl

Sep 2013
Liked 761 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Did you give it a little nutrient boost? Sometimes honey needs it to help it finish out. Arne.
@Arne , yes, I'm doing a modified version of TiOSNA

Old 01-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #13
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Racked this on 01/13/2017. SG was a little under 1.02, which is a bit early, but I knew I wouldn't have time to do it this weekend and since it was such a large open fermentation I didn't want it to go totally dry w/o being under an airlock.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #14
winter_hunt

Jan 2017

Sounds like a great brew. Did you modify the TiOSNA much? In quantities, or timing?

I've heard about adding bananas (more pottasium?) -what's your experience with using them vs without?

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #15
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter_hunt View Post
Sounds like a great brew. Did you modify the TiOSNA much? In quantities, or timing?

I've heard about adding bananas (more pottasium?) -what's your experience with using them vs without?

Thanks!
I used the calculator from here: http://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/

and went with the 2nd nutrient regime. I used Ferm K, but skipped the DAP additions altogether. I consulted with a few experienced mead makers who have gone to not using any DAP at all with great results. So far it seems to have worked because this mead is already quite drinkable once you get past the suspended CO2.

As far as the bananas go, I add them to just about everything I make now. They just seem to give it a little more mouthfeel and even though the banana flavor does not translate out into the final product, I feel it definitely adds another element to the overall flavor profile.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #16
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek View Post
I always wonder about the taste of a honey mead....
Let's see if we can swap a bottle when we swap the vanilla fig port?
Except I slacked off and waited too long and didn't get one of those kits. Sometime within the next month I will be making a high ABV fig mead. If it turns out well enough, I'll offer it up for an exchange.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #17
Mortalpawn

Jan 2017
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

How high gravity are we talking? I've been starting some melomels in the 1.140's and even 1.150's with great results. Obviously you need a fruit with a lot of acid/tannins to pull it off.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalpawn View Post
How high gravity are we talking? I've been starting some melomels in the 1.140's and even 1.150's with great results. Obviously you need a fruit with a lot of acid/tannins to pull it off.
I haven't decided yet. I will most likely aim for 16-17%. As far as acid/tannins go, I'll likely add a wee bit of oak powder in primary and wait until it's a few months old to determine how much more to add at that point.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #19
Whitehrs
Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and experimenting.

Mar 2016
Liked 43 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Jericurl,
My question is about the oak powder in the primary. Does the fall out of the lees, pull the oak with it? and what kind of effects could I expect from Oak chips in the secondary.. Say an oz of medium American (vs French)... Anyway. I would be very appreciative of any knowledge you can give.
Peach from Fresh Fruit,Peach Mango from juice,WE Pinot Noir kit,Blueberry from Fruit,Mead with German malted Wheat,Mead with German malted Barley,Joe's Ancient Orange Mead,Dragons Blood from Concentrate
Welch's Niagara White...Just learning.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #20
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitehrs View Post
Jericurl,
My question is about the oak powder in the primary. Does the fall out of the lees, pull the oak with it? and what kind of effects could I expect from Oak chips in the secondary.. Say an oz of medium American (vs French)... Anyway. I would be very appreciative of any knowledge you can give.
The oak powder in primary doesn't add a whole lot of oak flavor, but it does add some mouthfeel, bit of tannins, and creates another layer to the overall profile. I use bentonite in primary so by the time you rack to secondary, most of the powder has fallen out.
I'm just now getting into really experimenting with different oaks, American vs French.
I am finding I like using the wee bit of powder over chips. The chips just seem to add an overpowering amount of oak very quickly.
I have also used cubes in secondary/tertiary and I really do like those as well because it seems like the oak amount is easier to control.

As far as differences in American and French oaks, I'm afraid I don't think my palate is quite refined enough to tell the difference. I really do need to do a side by side experiment so I can see if my mouth can find a noticeable difference.

Whitehrs Likes This