Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > WineMakingTalk.com Forums > Introductions > Hello from Sonora, California

Old 10-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
Zintrigue

Oct 2015
Liked 42 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineforfun View Post
So here is how you should do things, assuming you have the equipment and funds.
Get a good kit(as I mentioned earlier) and get it going and done. It will need 9-12mos. to really make it start to come into it's own.
While it is aging, then start up Dragon Blood, Welchs Super Sugar, etc. that you can have done and drinking within 3-4mos.
That is excellent advice.

Why are one of the recipes called "Skeeter Pee?" It doesn't sound at all appetizing.

-Zin

Old 10-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean

Nov 2012
Liked 824 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 696

Lon was the creator of that recipe and if I recall, the name was derived from it's pale yellow color and being drank in the summertime, when the "skeeters" are out and about.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #13
CGish
Eternal Tinkerer

Sep 2015
Liked 78 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zintrigue View Post
That is excellent advice.

Why are one of the recipes called "Skeeter Pee?" It doesn't sound at all appetizing.

-Zin
It may not sound appetizing, but it is excellent. It is a great summertime drink. So far, everyone I have shared it with has enjoyed it. I took a couple bottles to the beer club meeting last month and several people went home and started their own batches. Don't let the name put you off - it is very good.

And cheap - let's not forget cheap.

Cody

Old 10-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #14
Zintrigue

Oct 2015

I'm a fan of cheap. Skeeters, not so much. Does it come out dry or sweet? I have a hard time stomaching sweet alcoholic drinks.

Maybe I'll invent my own cheapy if I ever get good at this.

-Zin

Old 10-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
CGish
Eternal Tinkerer

Sep 2015
Liked 78 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zintrigue View Post
I'm a fan of cheap. Skeeters, not so much. Does it come out dry or sweet? I have a hard time stomaching sweet alcoholic drinks.

Maybe I'll invent my own cheapy if I ever get good at this.

-Zin
It finishes dry and then you back sweeten it to taste. Since it is lemon, you need some sugar. Dry would be way to tart for me. However, you can tune it to your particular taste.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #16
Zintrigue

Oct 2015

I was searching for small batch advice on dragon blood and came across this post I made over a year ago. I forgot all about it!

Figured I'd report on the simple Welchs wine I made back then, in case someone else wants to try it. It was a fun experiment. Even though I preferred not to drink it.

It came out bricky colored, smelling strongly of welchs grape juice. At first it did indeed taste like a jam sandwich (haha!), but over the year it's mellowed to a less yeasty grape flavor. It's also quite strong, as far as alcohol goes. And bitter. But strangely sweet, too.

I've been using it as cooking wine.

Now that I'm doing a small batch kit of merlot I'm excited to try new recipes. As someone mentioned earlier in the post, I'm going to make dragons blood next. Just have to figure out a few details about a 1 gallon batch.

This is definitely a patient hobby.

-Zintrigue
image.jpg