Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > wanting old style mead recipe

Old 08-11-2016, 12:22 AM   #11
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014
Liked 219 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 1195

all right I went from what I thought I wanted to what I did, I put 15 pounds oof wildflower honey, 2 lb. wild blackberries, an 1/2 ounce of alstrayualn stella hops it is now in a 6 gallon carboy, somebody please lie to me an tell me it will be drinkable after 3 more rackings and then 1 year bulk aging, because right

grape tannin,on the cherry question.....now it seems to taste like water downed water,,, teach me to think for myself, I still have 15 more pounds of wild flowered honey, my elderberries are just getting to I can start picking, i'm planning on 15 lb. wildflower honey, 30 lb. elderberry to ferment 8 gallons ,, that's 6 for carboy and 2 gallon in airlocked bottles to top off with,
if both come off not great, then I will conceder mixing the 2 differet kinds and bottle age an extra year,,, ay thoughts good or bad are welcome, after all i'm on here to learn, although I have grown a whole lot of ya'll have my respect, and my respect is based on the truth no sugar coating, a very old man years ago taught me you gotta take the bitter along with the sweet, so blint is how I tend to be as long as it is helpful..
Dawg please for give my lack of spelling been trying somme cherry a couple ways 1 teaspoon to the gallon or 1 an 1/2 teaspoon to the gallon took me awhile, but now that I'm loose as a goose I will be going with 1 an 1/2 teaspoon to the gallon, I favor the extra bite over the to smooth,,,

Dawg
KNOW YOUR BIBLE, LET NOT THOu BE LEAD ASTRAY BY THE WICKED,,,''' ALWAYS DO THE LEADING DOWN THE WIDE CROOKED PATH ON THE HYWAY TO HELL YOU'LL GET THERE ALOT QUICKER IF THATS THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN, THAT WAY IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT,,

Reason: lekt out word

Old 08-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #12
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014

need to clean computer it wont let me correct where my senaces are place and no it is not from testing the cherry
KNOW YOUR BIBLE, LET NOT THOu BE LEAD ASTRAY BY THE WICKED,,,''' ALWAYS DO THE LEADING DOWN THE WIDE CROOKED PATH ON THE HYWAY TO HELL YOU'LL GET THERE ALOT QUICKER IF THATS THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN, THAT WAY IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT,,

Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 PM   #13
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014

ok i apologize for not getting back to you much sooner, many stays in SICU, an 2 months ago my nephew took his life, that shattered me, they say i am steel and ice, but after that i was only jelly. but any way, i went with a certified organic, non GMO, kosher wild flower honey 15 lbs, and 2 lbs wild blackberry. and 1/2 ounce Stella hops from Australia, all three give off floral notes, was a off my head recipe, been bulk aging for 6 months now, i will back sweeten using high grade clover granular honey non GMO, kosher and organic as well,, i am into all natural, i raise my fruits, berries, vegetables, eggs, pork, beef, rabbit and so on., i thank you for the links and the interest i will not,, pop the air lock for at least 3 more months, early the tastes was dishearten, but young stuff always is disappointing to me, then after time magic it all comes together except for my first black berry wine the recipe called for 3 lbs per gallon, i use on all fruits and berries 4 to 6 pounds per gallon depending on the fruits/berries, apples and pears is 6 lbs, an so on, elderberry is 4 lbs, if it comes out drinkable i will contact you and see if i can send you a bottle, i have sent my pear/apple/crab apple to JOHNT, and blackberry to RUNNING WOLF, and 3 types tp VACUUMPUMPMAN, all i ask is blunt honest opinions, even rude if that is honest, that's how i learn, my friends at home would say piss tasted good for a free buzz, lol, but like i said only if i feel it is drinkable, again thank you for your free flowing knowledge ,,,
Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
Well, then.

I guess the easiest no frills recipe is going to be 3 lbs of honey per gallon plus water, if you want it dry.

5 lbs of honey per gallon plus water if you want it sweet.

I personally like D47 yeast for something with no fruit added.

Were I you, I would seriously consider looking up staggered nutrient additions (SNA) and get some yeast nutrient and yeast energizer.
Honey doesn't offer a whole lot for the yeast, so you may get some stressed yeast, off flavors as a result, etc.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #14
Arne

Jun 2010
Liked 687 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
ok i apologize for not getting back to you much sooner, many stays in SICU, an 2 months ago my nephew took his life, that shattered me, they say i am steel and ice, but after that i was only jelly. but any way, i went with a certified organic, non GMO, kosher wild flower honey 15 lbs, and 2 lbs wild blackberry. and 1/2 ounce Stella hops from Australia, all three give off floral notes, was a off my head recipe, been bulk aging for 6 months now, i will back sweeten using high grade clover granular honey non GMO, kosher and organic as well,, i am into all natural, i raise my fruits, berries, vegetables, eggs, pork, beef, rabbit and so on., i thank you for the links and the interest i will not,, pop the air lock for at least 3 more months, early the tastes was dishearten, but young stuff always is disappointing to me, then after time magic it all comes together except for my first black berry wine the recipe called for 3 lbs per gallon, i use on all fruits and berries 4 to 6 pounds per gallon depending on the fruits/berries, apples and pears is 6 lbs, an so on, elderberry is 4 lbs, if it comes out drinkable i will contact you and see if i can send you a bottle, i have sent my pear/apple/crab apple to JOHNT, and blackberry to RUNNING WOLF, and 3 types tp VACUUMPUMPMAN, all i ask is blunt honest opinions, even rude if that is honest, that's how i learn, my friends at home would say piss tasted good for a free buzz, lol, but like i said only if i feel it is drinkable, again thank you for your free flowing knowledge ,,,
Dawg
Here is the secret for making your own wine. Make it so you like how it tastes. Anybody else doesn't matter. As long as you like it, sometimes nice to have others give an opinion, their way might make it taste a bit better to you, if so you can change. Simple, huh? Arne.

People Like This 
Old 12-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #15
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean

Nov 2012
Liked 751 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne View Post
Here is the secret for making your own wine. Make it so you like how it tastes. Anybody else doesn't matter. As long as you like it, sometimes nice to have others give an opinion, their way might make it taste a bit better to you, if so you can change. Simple, huh? Arne.
Completely and wholeheartedly agree with Arne. While I value others input, in the end, I have to like what I am making/drinking.

hounddawg Likes This 
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #16
zadvocate

Aug 2015
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

http://www.meadmaderight.com/info.html look up the TOSNA method.

hounddawg Likes This