Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > Cherry Mead


Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #21
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean
 
wineforfun's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 2,687
Liked 886 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 727


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
Bottled today!
Other than a little too much mahlab, it's really good.
So what are each of those?

Also, following this thread, I see you racked in March, July and October. Did you hit it with kmeta each time?
__________________
D.J.
"Coffee by day, Wine by night"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #22
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,276
Liked 763 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 565


I added K-meta in March and in October.

The lightest one is my Oh Henry (peaches, figs, roses) and the darker one is The Woodsman (maple syrup, hickory syrup, yaupon holly honey, backsweetened with molasses).
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

wineforfun Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:01 AM   #23
stickman
Veteran Winemaker
 
stickman's Avatar
 
Jun 2014
Posts: 574
Liked 329 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 237


I noticed you didn't say what type of vanilla bean was used. Have you tried the Tahitian vanilla? It definitely has a fruit component to the aroma, different from standard vanilla, but I have only used it in baking and don't know if it is appropriate for mead etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #24
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,276
Liked 763 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 565


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
I noticed you didn't say what type of vanilla bean was used. Have you tried the Tahitian vanilla? It definitely has a fruit component to the aroma, different from standard vanilla, but I have only used it in baking and don't know if it is appropriate for mead etc.
These were either Ugandan or Madagascar, I don't remember which.
I get my beans from Beanilla.
I have used Tahitian vanilla and liked it. It's pretty amazing how different all the varieties taste from each other.
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #25
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean
 
wineforfun's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 2,687
Liked 886 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 727


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
I added K-meta in March and in October.
Really? I thought we were supposed to add at least every 90 days or was it every other 90 days?

Again, you win hands down for the most unique/creative wines.
__________________
D.J.
"Coffee by day, Wine by night"

Jericurl Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #26
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,276
Liked 763 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 565


Quote:
Originally Posted by wineforfun View Post
Really? I thought we were supposed to add at least every 90 days or was it every other 90 days?

Again, you win hands down for the most unique/creative wines.
Probably supposed to, but I don't. I think mead is much more forgiving in that aspect than wine to be honest with you.
A lot of meadmakers don't ever add it.
Plus, anecdotal, but I noticed I get a crazy amount of heartburn when I drink my earlier wine that had a bunch of it added, versus my later wine when I got lazier.
So I've stopped adding it so much.
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #27
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean
 
wineforfun's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 2,687
Liked 886 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 727


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
Probably supposed to, but I don't. I think mead is much more forgiving in that aspect than wine to be honest with you.
A lot of meadmakers don't ever add it.
Plus, anecdotal, but I noticed I get a crazy amount of heartburn when I drink my earlier wine that had a bunch of it added, versus my later wine when I got lazier.
So I've stopped adding it so much.
Interesting, I will keep that in mind.

I often wonder how much of it is necessary on wines that will be drank within 1 -2 yrs. I can see more of a use on longer aged wines.
I may be way off base though.
__________________
D.J.
"Coffee by day, Wine by night"

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Sweet chocolate cherry Mead fementing issue OldCanalBrewing Meads 8 10-11-2013 06:32 AM
Cherry: wine, mead, or cider? greyday Meads 10 02-14-2013 05:39 PM
Chocolate/cherry mead BlueberryLady Beginners Wine Making Forum 0 12-01-2011 06:37 PM
Cherry Mead Sg afireguy Meads 7 11-30-2007 01:07 PM
Cherry Mead afireguy Meads 10 11-22-2007 10:31 AM


Forum Jump