Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Tutorials, Calculators, Wine Logs & Yeast Charts > How To Understand ph, and Take A Reading

Old 01-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
djrockinsteve

Jan 2010
Liked 115 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You are welcome. The important thing to remember is not to get so deeply involved with trying to totally understand such a thing that you turn a fun hobby into something overwhelming.

If you start with quality juice you shouldn't have difficulties. It will already be ph and acid balanced. Fruit in the eastern US tends to be more acidic than the west coast. Taste the differences and enjoy rather than attempt to match them.

Creating your own juice not fully ripened fruit will be more acidic so either wait until it peaks or blend with something to help lower the acidity. No wine that we as hobbiests make is perfect. That's okay.

Be aware of your juices ph, follow how it changes over time. Enjoy.

There are other tutorials by a few of us that help tie ph into the whole scheme of things. FYI

Old 01-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Norske
Forum Member

Jan 2013
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Potassium Bicarbonate de-acidifies a wine by neutralizing acid. Do not try to lower the acid by more than 0.03% and don’t use this if your ph is above 3.5 By using 1 teaspoon (3.4 grams) per gallon will lower acidity (raise ph) by approximately 0.1% Use a large container as excessive amounts of foaming will occur.
Can you explain why you recommend not adding more than .03%? Some of our fruit wines, such as lingonberry and red currant start out pH of 2.8-3.0 and we need to add quite a bit of Pot bicarb to adjust the pH pre-ferment.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
razelegendz

Dec 2016

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to point out there is such thing as a negative PH, meaning 0 isn't the most acidic.