Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > Our first Wine show....

Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3804 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 6493

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned.

Many of the winery owners I've talked to either don't do festivals, or only go because they feel they need the exposure. As Dan mentioned, it's usually a ton of people looking to get as much as they can for the price of admission and the crowds are huge. I know that's exactly why I avoid them. I'd prefer to have the time to talk with the owner/winemaker/pourer to learn more about what I'm drinking.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

JohnT Likes This 
Old 01-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #12
Floandgary
Bottle at a time

Dec 2012
Liked 293 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Congrats Bill! At least you didn't title it "Our last Wine show"!! Working with crowds is tough enough,, a mob is a nightmare. Enjoyed your samples and hope to get over your way soon..

Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Hokapsig

Sep 2011
Liked 239 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Wine show #2 was MUCH BETTER. With 1200 tickets sold, the crowds were steady and much better behaved. We sold about 17 cases and only used up 4 cases for tasting. We limited our selection to 7 wines and I am learning what to say in order to sell the wines. The crowds allowed time to do some small chit chat with the customers and we got very good feedback about our wines and sales presentations. We used 2 side tables for the sales and an extra square allowed us to process and move customers faster. We only served people in front of us which pulled the customers from the side to the front and kept the sales areas clear. One unfortunate item was when I loaded the van on Sunday morning, it was 4 degrees below zero, which caused some of the wines to produce diamonds (we cold stabilze, but not down to minus 4). The slow pour filters we used took care of the diamonds when pouring (we highly recommend these). the promoter gave us the internet password and our squares worked flawlessly. I have to get some table lifters for the testing tables as bending over for 6 hours can be a pain on the back. We also got some table coverings that almost matched our burgundy sign spot on. we looked more professional and it showed on our sales and feedback. We will be selling at our alma mater this weekend, with less tickets sold. We will take 20 cases and leave when we sell out.

People Like This 
Old 02-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #14
ffemt128

Dec 2009
Liked 535 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokapsig View Post
Wine show #2 was MUCH BETTER. With 1200 tickets sold, the crowds were steady and much better behaved. We sold about 17 cases and only used up 4 cases for tasting. We limited our selection to 7 wines and I am learning what to say in order to sell the wines. The crowds allowed time to do some small chit chat with the customers and we got very good feedback about our wines and sales presentations. We used 2 side tables for the sales and an extra square allowed us to process and move customers faster. We only served people in front of us which pulled the customers from the side to the front and kept the sales areas clear. One unfortunate item was when I loaded the van on Sunday morning, it was 4 degrees below zero, which caused some of the wines to produce diamonds (we cold stabilze, but not down to minus 4). The slow pour filters we used took care of the diamonds when pouring (we highly recommend these). the promoter gave us the internet password and our squares worked flawlessly. I have to get some table lifters for the testing tables as bending over for 6 hours can be a pain on the back. We also got some table coverings that almost matched our burgundy sign spot on. we looked more professional and it showed on our sales and feedback. We will be selling at our alma mater this weekend, with less tickets sold. We will take 20 cases and leave when we sell out.

Good deal and take 30.

FERMCALC

Old 02-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #15
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010
Liked 3832 Times on 2215 Posts
Likes Given: 2924

glad things worked better this time.
Do you have any pictures you can post? I'd love to see them.

Julie Likes This 
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #16
Hokapsig

Sep 2011

Here's my wife, me and my son at our first show, before the mayhem hit....

JohnT Likes This 
Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010

That is just so darn coooool!

Hokapsig Likes This 
Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #18
Hokapsig

Sep 2011

I'll have to get a new updated photo this weekend. We've changed some things as we've learned how to play the game.....

Old 11-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #19
Hokapsig

Sep 2011

well, after our first year of a license, we can look back and reflect.

We have done WAY more than I had ever imagined and have had our wines well received. We have benefited from immeasureable help from ffemt (Doug), Julie, and of course my family, some college friends as well as some of the other wineries who took us under their wing and helped us along (George from Juniata Winery). Even my wife, who was VERY skeptical, has now quit her job to work at the winery full time. It is definitely fun working with friends and family.

Another big thing to do is ALWAYS keep your tanks full. We are looking in every nook and cranny in the winery to find bottles to sell. This weekend will be our last show for almost a month, which should give us time to get our tanks bottled, refilled and bottled and refilled again. Thank goodness for young wine.

We will be expanding our production by purchasing some extra stainless VC tanks. The winery has generated some cash so we can purchase some extra equipment and begin to pay back the family checking account that had been fronting the cash to operate the business. I am seeking an experienced CPA to do our taxes as I have reached the level of my incompetence when doing taxes.

All in all, it has been a great learning experience and we seek to go into 2017 in a much stronger and wiser position.....

People Like This 
Old 11-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #20
JohnT
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Feb 2010

Thanks so much for all of your posts! I am sure that I am not the only one living vicariously through you.

I wish you all the success in the world! Congrats on a successful year and may each year exceed the last!

Hokapsig Likes This