Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > First two batches of mead started

Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
Spikedlemon

Feb 2016
Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
What are you going to be bottling it in? Are you just in a hurry to get it into bottles? I've been much, much happier with stuff I left in bulk for at least 6 months (with the exception of DB, since I use a clearing agent and degass the crap out of it)
Fair enough. I'll rack it down into two single 1gals (since I didn't quite make 3 gal) and leave it alone.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
Whitehrs
Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and experimenting.

Mar 2016
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm still only about 6 months in and agree with all the above. I'v done 3 1 gallon batches of mead and I'd recommend you shoot for about 12% and then let it rest for at least 6 months.. 12% will taste really hot at first. It really mellows after months. Bulk ageing is very important. I will probably do another 1 gallon batch soon. I like to get my warm Honey and water together, and spurge it over some nice malted Bavarian wheat, before committing it to a must, and pitching yeast. It gets some really nice "Closer to beer" Flavors.. Yoou can also steep a couple tablespoons of your favorite tea in it.. I seethe flavor profiles options as limitless.
Peach from Fresh Fruit,Peach Mango from juice,WE Pinot Noir kit,Blueberry from Fruit,Mead with German malted Wheat,Mead with German malted Barley,Joe's Ancient Orange Mead,Dragons Blood from Concentrate
Welch's Niagara White...Just learning.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #13
Spikedlemon

Feb 2016

Three months later and the bread-yeasty mead is mostly clear (racked once) while the EC1118 mead is still very cloudy (I did stir in some bentonite to try to settle it down but, it appears, without much success).

The bread-mead will likely be bottled ahead of the EC1118 mead. I'm toying with the idea to get some swingtop beers to use for bottling the meads.

While my wine 'brew room' is pretty full right now of actual wine: I'd like to brew another mead with some hops and, as @Whitehrs noted, some malted grain while I target 10%ABV or less.

Whitehrs Likes This 
Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #14
Whitehrs
Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and experimenting.

Mar 2016
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikedlemon View Post
Three months later and the bread-yeasty mead is mostly clear (racked once) while the EC1118 mead is still very cloudy (I did stir in some bentonite to try to settle it down but, it appears, without much success).

The bread-mead will likely be bottled ahead of the EC1118 mead. I'm toying with the idea to get some swingtop beers to use for bottling the meads.

While my wine 'brew room' is pretty full right now of actual wine: I'd like to brew another mead with some hops and, as @Whitehrs noted, some malted grain while I target 10%ABV or less.
If (when) I do this again, I will be making it with more malted barley, I didn't even taste the hops. but would leave the same amount 1/4 oz. The Malted wheat Mead has never gotten completely clear. The Barley has cleared completely. I have about 1 750ml of each left. Next time I will keg the mead, and use a designed yeast and probably recover it to keep a strain going. The bread mead was not he best of my three. When it was young, the Bread with the banana was awesome, but the wheat was best. as time has gone on the malted barley has become better. I am close to 9 months on these. I made a Gallon of each. I have a small fliptop bottle in the fridge of the wheat, and two 750mls (1 wheat, 1 barley) left in the closet.. This is my findings. The malted grains do make the flavor better, IMO. I will probably let the Grains set on the Mead for primary, and a little into secondary fermentation. Maybe to dry, just to build the grain flavor. The Jet fuel taste (at 14 -16 ABV) will mellow. Mine is very drinkable now. Just have to be careful. That ABV will sneak up smack you in the back of the head.
Peach from Fresh Fruit,Peach Mango from juice,WE Pinot Noir kit,Blueberry from Fruit,Mead with German malted Wheat,Mead with German malted Barley,Joe's Ancient Orange Mead,Dragons Blood from Concentrate
Welch's Niagara White...Just learning.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #15
Spikedlemon

Feb 2016

6 months later:
The bread yeast was clear and bottled. I opened one with some friends and it tasted... like very little. The best complement I got was "it tastes like wine that I don't hate because it doesn't taste like anything".
I think I'll get some cinnamon sticks and drop them into the bottle to add some flavor.

One of the EC1118 gallons was clear so it was bottled while the other refuses to clear.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
Bodenski

Nov 2016
Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I have only done one batch of Mead (The JOAM recipe). It was made with bread yeast. The most impressive flavor I got in it was "pith" from the oranges. It isn't too hot, and I'm really wondering what it will taste like in 6 months. It's wonderfully clear. It was a one gallon batch and had a clove and a cinnamon stick in it. I can't taste those at this point. It was 10 weeks from yeast pitch to bottle. (I would have gone longer but I really wanted to try it!)

I totally get where the very little taste comment comes from. I need to find some great examples of commercial Mead to see what flavors I need to focus on trying to increase if/when I make a second batch of mead. (I might just stick to cyser with my honey, as I love me some hard cider!)

"1gallon containers are the gateway drug." - NorCal

Old 01-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
Spikedlemon

Feb 2016

I intend to make a new batch based on the Dragon's Blood recipe but to use honey rather than sugar.

I am considering taking the second batch that's not yet cleared and adding some pineapple to it. And see how that turns out for some flavor.

I think the JAOM version would be better than the storm-the-castle version as it adds the cinnamon and clove for flavor that I feel is desperately needed. But it's a good and fun learning experience.