Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Grape Growing / Vineyard Management / Commercial Winery > Commercial Winery Forum > Beginning a Winery

Old 10-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #111
Hokapsig

Sep 2011
Liked 239 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by audmkamp View Post
TTB will not let you have a winery in your home, even if you sequester room one off from the rest of the house. You need to have a stand alone structure.
Nothing is more false. My fully permitted TTB and State winery resides in my basement, though I am quickly outgrowing the downstairs.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #112
Stressbaby
Just a Member

Aug 2012
Liked 348 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 155

In Missouri you can do this but it has to be permanently walled off from the rest of the home.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #113
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014
Liked 239 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

To each and everyone of ya'll i give my utmost thank to all here..,
but from reading an going thru all the so called rules, i have made the astute dissection to try to fill the grand canyon with taffy due to the fact of that would be much easier to do... thanks everyone for the information,,
DAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by audmkamp View Post
TTB will not let you have a winery in your home, even if you sequester room one off from the rest of the house. You need to have a stand alone structure.
KNOW YOUR BIBLE, LET NOT THOu BE LEAD ASTRAY BY THE WICKED,,,''' ALWAYS DO THE LEADING DOWN THE WIDE CROOKED PATH ON THE HYWAY TO HELL YOU'LL GET THERE ALOT QUICKER IF THATS THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN, THAT WAY IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT,,

heatherd Likes This 
Old 02-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #114
Hokapsig

Sep 2011

Well, a new year, a new update.

We finished 2016 with a flourish and figured that we had sold almost 400 gallons of wine and gave away about 90 gallons in tasters. We have since purchased stainless steel VC tanks of the 200 and 300 liter sizes to expand production. We are quickly outgrowing our basement and my car is no longer garage kept as pallets of bottles are stored there waiting for filling.

We started off 2017 with the generous help of friends and through 6 weeks of the year, we are already over 50% of last years total business. My wife has quit her job and is now a full time cellar rat/business manager/go getter for the winery. We have purchased a pickup truck to transport our goods to market and to pick up production materials (and not having to impose on ffemt for the use of his truck which we greatly appreciated). We have come up with mulled wine recipes which caused us to sell out of 140 gallons of Cabernet and that became a crowd favorite. We now have a "following".

Though we are very busy this winter, we plan to ease up on the summer and enjoy our wines and prep for fall. My wife will be selling our wines at farmer's markets on Thursdays and Saturdays, with occasional bigger shows sprinkled in. We are still learning the business, but have made BIG leaps over the past year. My team that helps to sell wine is confident and consumer driven. We are often told we are the nicest winery with the best tasting wines, and our sales appear to reflect that.

But now taxes are the issue and we have met with a professional accountant for assistance. They are worth every penny and hopefully will keep me out of jail (though I will blame everything on my wife, as its hockey season and I want the TV). We are now looking at purchasing acreage and putting up a winery building. My wife has seen that the business is now sustainable.

We look forward to further reports as the year progresses. We had one glitch where our older corker was putting a crease in the corks and the bottles were leaking when customers stored them on their side. We recorked about 20 cases and that issue has been corrected with the purchase of a new Italian corker.

People Like This 
Old 02-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #115
ibglowin

Jul 2009
Liked 3588 Times on 2043 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Fantastic news Bill! Congratulations all the way around. All your hard work is finally paying off!

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Hokapsig Likes This 
Old 02-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #116
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3597 Times on 2213 Posts
Likes Given: 6200

Great news. I've really enjoyed following your journey.

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Hokapsig Likes This 
Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM   #117
Julie
Super Moderator

Dec 2009
Liked 1510 Times on 1115 Posts
Likes Given: 2780

Congrats Bill!

Here is what I have done!

Hokapsig Likes This 
Old 02-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #118
DoctorCAD

Jan 2012
Liked 451 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Are you permitted to sell to a NC resident (formerly from Irwin)?

Hokapsig Likes This 
Old 02-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #119
Hokapsig

Sep 2011

Well, since you're from Irwin and I'm from Irwin, we obviously can do this. In fact, ffemt and I are coming to NC next weekend to Winston Salem to trim vines in the vineyard in Lewisville. Hope to see you there.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:48 AM   #120
grapeman
Administrator
WMT_ADMIN.png

Nov 2005
Liked 1049 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Hope everything keeps going well for you and your wife there. It is a lot of work but can be very satisfying.

Experience a Taste of the Champlain Valley.

Hokapsig Likes This