Register Now!

Pick a Wine Kit & Win a Wine Kit Giveaway

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Tutorials, Calculators, Wine Logs & Yeast Charts > How To Read Hydrometer

Old 11-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
djrockinsteve

Jan 2010
Liked 115 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How To Read A Hydrometer.

By taking a specific gravity reading before the introduction of your yeast to the must, then again when fermentation is complete can you determine the alcohol percentage by volume. Subtract the final reading from the beginning to get your answer.

When your hydrometer stops declining for 3 days in a row can you be certain that fermentation has ceased.

Hydrometers can contain any or all of the following scales, specific gravity, % of alcohol by vol., pounds/ounces of sugar per gallon and temperature.

People Like This 
Old 04-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
socialdougal

Mar 2015
Likes Given: 8

I just got my first set of hydrometers. There are three, they are made of glass, measure alcohol percentage, and have scales of 0-40, 40-70, and 70-100, respectively.

I've done a little home brewing from kits in the distant past, and recently decided on a whim I'd get back into it. No kits, but I have three batches of country wine and one of beer in progress. The fermentation of two appeared complete and have been racked.

Never used a hydrometer before. Can someone please advise on a minimal-mess, sanitary, efficient methodology?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
sour_grapes
Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers

Sep 2013
Liked 2547 Times on 1693 Posts
Likes Given: 2855

Here is a good video to give a visualbr />
My own experience and development deepen every day my conviction that our moral progress may be measured by the degree in which we sympathize with individual suffering and individual joy. -George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), novelist (1819-1880)
My "bucket list" (AKA, what I've made so far....)