Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Kit Winemaking > Packlab Cornucopia Pear/Chard....

Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
SouthernChemist
Disgruntled PhD

Nov 2011
Liked 90 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkov View Post
you think that kit would be good to keg and serve sparkling?
Chardonnay would make a good sparkling wine base. Ditto for any other white that has good acidity and strong, fruity flavors. I would avoid anything intended to be oaked. Apparently oak tastes awful in sparkling wine, and that's one thing I've seen people say to consistently avoid.

Also, one other thing people do is add half the f-pack at the beginning of fermentation and use the rest to backsweeten the wine. You end up with a less sweet end product with higher alcohol.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
cpfan

Nov 2006
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Anthony:

I have not done this so have no personal experience. I'm pretty sure that the mist kits from other brands have sorbate in the F-pack. However, the amount of sorbate is to prevent the litre or so of F-pack from starting to ferment. It is not enough to stop the 23 litre (6 US gallon) batch from fermenting. I know that some other people have added the F-pack after a couple of days, ie once the ferment is vigourous. I would suggest not waiting too long though.

Steve

anthony Likes This