RJ Spagnols RJS Restricted Quantities 2018

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else made the Reisling? I just bottled mine this last weekend. It tastes fruity but overly acidic. I added the fpac up front and am now second guessing that move. A little sweetness would likely balance that out. Hoping it will improve significantly with age.

Has anyone else made the Reisling? I just bottled mine this last weekend. It tastes fruity but overly acidic. I added the fpac up front and am now second guessing that move. A little sweetness would likely balance that out. Hoping it will improve significantly with age.
I went half the fpac into the primary and the rest to backsweeten, most reislings I prefer a bit of residual sugar. Mine tasted ok at bottling, letting it sit 4-6 months before trying a bottle.

I don't particularly care for Temprinillo and I've got a batch of Reisling sitting on the shelf so that leaves these two offerings out of consideration. Of the remaining two, Carmenierie is the one that I'll likely order.

Unfortunately, my RJS supplier doesn't have them available for pre-order at this time.

Did you happen to make the Carmenere?

Wondering if anyone has feedback on that kit.

Made the Tempranillo, Carmenere and Riesling. Carmenere was delicious right away. Tucked it away and will try again in a few months. Riesling is still in the carboy. Had a glass of someone else’s straight from a carboy at bottling. I’m not a white wine lover but that taste made me decide to make a batch of my own. I dumped my Tempranillo. I was very excited for this one. First sample came off with a very metallic and weird taste. Thought it might need more time aging so gave it a couple more months in the carboy. Obviously I screwed up with sterilizing something. Second taste made me wince with pain. LOL. No fixing that!

I made both the Carmenere and the Riesling for our tasting room.

The Carmenere has not yet been bottled. Will let you know about it when it is bottled.

I made 2 of the Riesling Kits and used two different yeasts between them, QA23 and Lalvin R2.
These were recently bottled and I have been offering blind taste tests of the two types with the tasting room customers.
The mutual feeling is that both types are good, but everyone prefers the QA23 Riesling.
The R2 Riesling seems to be more acidic than the QA23.

I have made some great Pinot Grigio with the R2 yeast because it will ferment at a really low temperature. I did 50 DegF with the Pinot Grigio.
It took a couple weeks to ferment, but exhibited fruitier character which I attribute to the slow fermentation.
Unfortunately, I did not ferment at a low temperature with the Riesling.
Perhaps that is why it is sharper on the finish.

I still have 8 more of these Riesling kits, and will continue my experiments with them.

Just bottled the Shiraz Voignier and the Two Roads Red (Zin/Cab/Petite Sirah). The Two Roads Red is already quite drinkable at 4 months (no sharp or overpowering tastes) but doesn't have a lot of depth. Hopefully some aging will help.

The Shiraz Voignier show a lot of complexity. I think it has great potential but needs to age to blend. Just put on Bourbon Barrel and LE 2017 NZ Merlot. I have to wonder how the Bourbon Barrel will compare with the 2 roads red as the oak is the major difference.

Back