Help identify disorder please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marctee

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this leaf issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

ImageUploadedByWine Making1403562906.104930.jpg

Not sure if this is a deficiency I don't recognize or if it could be herbicide injury of some type.

Has any herbicide been applied nearby?

No possibility of roundup drift but some herbicide might have been used 3 years ago so possibly still in the soil. Thanks for ur help.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Besides the blotchiness, I'm looking at the curled young leaves along with the finger-like leaf edges- symptoms of 2,4-D damage. Just a thought......

If it is herbicide damage any recommendations on what to do? Let it grow out or replace and much or the surrounding soil? This is a very young vine planted in May.

We have the very same thing on our vines. Just planted our vineyard this spring in southeast Missouri .. Also had the same thing on some herbs (basil) and a few garden plants. The vines seem to be growing ok and new growth looks better. Hope your vines are ok

I have similar problems with my muscadine grapes. I'm surrounded by row crop farmland, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting 2,4, D drift. I'm told a farmer (or cropduster) can spray it one day when the wind is still or blowing in the right direction and then a day or 2 or 3 later if the atmospheric conditions are right it can rise up and drift a mile or two. I had this last year also. It seemed like it was a problem in the early summer and then they grew out of it later in the summer.

One reason I think it's chemical damage is that I have vines in my back yard in town and they don't suffer from this, but the ones out at the farm do.

GaryMC,
I believe you are located fairly close to me...
Last week the power line guys were spraying chemicals to kill back growth and I saw this same leaf damage again the very next day. See pic below. My grapes are not extremely close to where they were spraying ... Maybe 400 yards. Anyway it kind of supports the idea of chemical damage seen earlier this spring. TImageUploadedByWine Making1407562203.288545.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. I'm convinced it's residual herbicide in the soil. The plant is still growing although rather stumpy.

Back