Slow Ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I have a Sauv. blanc. juice bucket from Luva Bella.....I had an issue and had to sulphite it and repitch with EC-1118...

I pitched the yeast on 11/3 and fermentation started within a day or 2. The OG was around 1.092 It is now down to 1.020...It took a little over 2 weeks....

Does this seem kinda slow....Should I add some yeast nutrient when I rack to a carboy....

The temp was kept around 70 degrees and I have been slowly increasing it...Now around 75

Thx

was it on the floor? if so then it might be the floor temp wicking upward and making for a cooler temp than you thought

if it was a true liquid temp as you say then yes it was a bit slow, but go by the trend and the numbers....and you are doing fine, you could rack now but if it were me and i was seeking a dry wine and you can control the environment then i would recommend that you let this go to 1.0 and finish off in the secondary

This is a white wine so a slow ferment is better for it to retain its esters. When measuring the temp was that in the liquid or room temp? Als right, if its sitting on a tile floor the bucket will suck up the temp of the floor strongly!

It was actually in my new chest/ferm freezer build so I have been monitoring the temps fairly well. Just built it. I will wait till its down to 1.0 before I rack and I guess try to stir up as much yeast as I can in the process.

Thx

your're on your way...should be fine...just keep the temps up and make sure the yeast is getting air...you mentioned the wine being inside a chest/ferm freezer, so i dont know if that has a door and is being closed....you need to have your must exposed to oxygen so the yeast can breath and repopulate

Last edited:
I have that same bucket. The initial SG was 1.094. After 8 days it was down to 1.020. I was trying to keep the temperature in the low 70's. I racked it to a carboy at that point. It took another 9 days to finish at .992. I then stabilized it. After another month or so, I racked it off the fines. It's now happily aging in a carboy.

Latest posts

Back