Fishing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Anyone doing any fishing? Ive been hitting the trout since season started but today I hit the big river and nailed some big ones!! Caught my limit of 18"- 20"ers today but the big ones broke my line so afterwards I hit the store and grabbed some bigger line. I had 6lb test on which was brand new braided. Im not big on using bigger line for trout but 2 much bigger ones broke my line today as I had them right at my feat!!! Cry Grabbed my self a heavy duty surf caster to try for some stripers but I might be to late for that or I might just catch the tail end.Havent fished in years, why I have no idea but if you havent give it a try again cause man is it fun. Same thing for my older brother, he hasnt fished in years so I bought him a license the other day and took him with me today and now he is hooked and will be buying a new rod. His was ancient poll took a beating also today with broken line from fish.

Ill start taking some pics now that I have a card reader for my phonecard.

I've been on lake Quassapaug a bunch of times, this is our best year yet. We've caught so many huge trout I can't begin to tell you. A few 22" rainbow and Brownies and a ton other anywhere from from 16"-20". We troll with threaded minnows for the most part. Where do you fish Wade?

Here's a nice bass me and my old man picked up near shore. I think it measured just shy of 20". That's my father in the picture.

2011-04-23 15.37.03.jpg

Wade, did you have the drag set right on your reel? If you 'play' the fish and don't try to horse them in, you can catch some nice fish on 6 lb test line, especially since you said it was new line. Best of luck!

I love to bass fish. We live on a 12 acre lake - so i get to do a lot of fishing when i have free time.

It's fun to fish and even better when you hook into a big one!!!

Smallmouth fishing is a lot of fun, although i haven't done that in years.

before I moved here to NC I loved to fish for stripers. Those are some wicked fish to catch seems there are no decent public fishing places here in NC. Guess Tenn. spoiled me.

I love to fish myself. I do more catfishing than anything now because it is so difficult to find good bass fishing spots. If I had a boat, it would be a different story. I live near a small river and it is big enough for a good ole john boat. Just need to find a used one that has a running motor on it! Till then, catfishing continues. lol.

I do a fair bit of fishing. Mostly fly fishing for trout but also go after Northern Pike once in a while.

Fisherman here. There isn't much trout fishing in the area though. I've fished a few trout in the White River in Arkansas, but mostly enjoy Crappie and Catfish. I'm a fan of the unconventional methods; jugging, running trot-lines, yo-yo's, bowfishing, dynamite (j/k).

Just returned from a 2 day canoe trip down a small river here in Nova Scotia that has been misnamed - should be called the river from hell, because of the granite boulders and sweepers ( trees across river). Anyway the fishing was mediocre - got some 12 inch brookies, which are a decent size here, but we were too late to catch the good mayfly hatch and not many fish rising. I like to fish dry flies with a 2 lb tippet on a light rod so it's plenty of fun when you hook one in a run.
It was a great trip with 3 great buddies so I'm tired but happy!!

By the way, the part of the province ( Kejimkujik/Tobeatic area in southern NS) was a favorite haunt of many sportsman from New England in the early 1900's - Babe Ruth spent many a time there. There is a great read about this called The Tent Dwellers by Albert Bigelo Payne from 1908, I believe - it is very entertaining and I highly recommend it!
Sorry for going on - fishing is a great passion of mine.
I'd love to get some trout like you have, Wade.

Joe, how do you go about fishing on Quassy? You need to pay right? Ive been fishing Southford falls, Eight Mile Brook, and the Naugatuck river. Id love to fish Lake Elise and Quassy but dont kn ow how to go about getting a permit or ev en if I can afford it if you have to pay. Joe, PM me your address so I can drop your short off in your mailbox!
As for settin g the drag I did have it set shy but this line is just so crappy. I normally use 4 lb test and have a 2 poles with that on and its WAYYYYYY stronger then this Berkely Vanish 6 lb test. It kept breaking even while I was trying to tie the knots and my 4 lb test doesnt even do that. I took some pics today of some good fish like a 20 1/2" Rainbow and a 22" sucker that weighed 3 1/2 lbs but now my computer is giving me grief. I now have 3 multi card readers but my USB ports wont recognize any of them!! :M I think its time to get a new laptop soon and give this one to my son.

Wade, we pay for a dock each year. Something to the tune of $800 or so to have our little 14 ft boat on. The guy even has a minnow bucket there that he sells for $6 a dozen. We thread shiners so we use maybe 5 on a bad day. The fish tend to not mangle the minnows when they hit if you thread them right.

Nice Joe, whats the biggest Trout caught in Quassy? Ive hard it was a big one and held the record. Actually I think it still does for a Tiger Trout.

Just returned from the U.P. of Michigan, while I was there I fished on the Ontonagon river and picked up 9 walleyes with my fishing buddy. The depth ranged from 3.5' to 10' with most being caught in the 5.5' depth. Great fish that are out of Lake Superior. We caught all within 1 mile from the mouth. Ranged in size from 15.5 to 22 inches. Minimum legal size is 15". The brook trout fishing has been great as well. It's been fairly easy to go out and catch your five from 8" to about 13" in about an hour.
I'm surprised that your line was breaking that easy. New line should be better than that. Check your drag. This March I caught an 8# Brown ice fishing on 6# line with a 28" ice rod so I know it can take it. Sometimes your line may be nicked by fish or objects in the water that may weaken your line as well. Check it with your fingers to feel for these and re tie if needed. I use Trilene line, the solar version for visibility because my eyes are not so good anymore. I've had people tell me the fish can see it to easily but I catch as many or more than the people I'm with so I think that's bs. This is a great time of year to be out enjoying this past time. Good luck.

Wade, that Berkley Vanish has a bad rep out here in our W Wash rivers........look for P-line...good line, you will like it.

I have 4lb test line on my other pole and its way better then that Berkely Vanish line. Im not kidding when I say it kept snapping even when trying to tie the knot to a new hook and I always cut off about 6' minimum after getting snagged or something. That line just bites!!! I use 4lb on 1 pole and 8lb on another for a few spots I fish as its an area where you get snagged alot due to branches and stuff in the water. I get better action with the 4 lb but Im been able to pull a lot of stuff including fish with the 8 also. Hopefully after a year or so with the big line I will have removed all the stuff that is getting us all snagged up in there.

Maybe they call it Vanish because when you get fish on the line, they vanish. Hehehehe :h

Well Ive been doing a lot of Salt water fishing the past week and 1/2 with not much luck but I really need to o at night for decent results. The freshwater has finally calmed down now from all the rains so tried my luck back at Trout and took home 2 very nice Rainbows. Im not a very good photographer at all, ones a 18" and the other a 16". Im taking my big brother out to my place on Wednesday night and then we'll have dinner of a few more on Thursday. Every time I go there I catch at least 2 very nice trout and usually throw 2 or 3 slightly smaller ones back for future catches!

6-20 Trout.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back