RJ Spagnols RJS RQ French Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked again(off the oak this time), dosed again. Very little CO2 in this racking. I continue to be very happy with this RQ. It's darker than my WineExpert kits, fuller bodied, too. While it's still very young, the flavor is pretty remarkable. I told my wife this will quickly become her favorite over the Stags Leap Merlot. We'll do a side-by-side blind tasting and see what happens.

Letting it bulk age another 3 months and will probably bottle in the springtime. If I needed the space, I could bottle tonight and not be unhappy.

The only addition I'm thinking about is a little finishing tannin over the next 3 months. Then again, I'm a futzer.

I'm thinking of doing 45-60gr. of French med+ oak cubes once it gets to its three month nap. I have Hungarian med+ too... I blended the cubes for my PS (30gr of each. I think). Thoughts?

Is anyone else doing this kit or is it just me??
I like oak! I oaked mine with 90 gr.

While it's still very young, the flavor is pretty remarkable. I told my wife this will quickly become her favorite over the Stags Leap Merlot. We'll do a side-by-side blind tasting and see what happens.

Although I never tried the WE Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot, people here rave about it, so really wonder how good that RJS Merlot will be, as a matter of fact I may just order one today.:r

Although I never tried the WE Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot, people here rave about it, so really wonder how good that RJS Merlot will be, as a matter of fact I may just order one today.:r

I’ve done two of the WE Stags Leap Merlot so far. I may do another on an extended maceration. But, the RQ French Merlot will not disappoint.

Latest posts

Back