Hello from Ireland

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie

Junior
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,
New to this forum and also really new to wine making. I mage a couple of kit wines last year and am in the middle of some at the moment.
I have a question about one I'm currently doing. My OG was really high starting out, 1.110. I pitched my yeast and it bubbled away nicely (bit intense for a day or so in the middle) and then I racked as per instructions and followed the steps. When I racked for secondary fermentation I has SG of 0.990 so happy enough. My question is was my OG high due to water used? I used tap water that I drink all the time and tastes fine. It's a 30 bottle 6 week kit.
Thanks in advance for any advice
Robbie
:b

Welcome to the forum!

Unless if has sugar in it I doubt it was the water. What does the kit instructions give as the range for starting SG?

It said between 1.080 and 1.100. We have fluoride added to the water here and I read things about hard/soft water and so on. I am wondering if I should be looking at using bottled water instead? I've been doing a bit of reading and getting a lot of different opinions out there.
I'm also making two 6 bottle kits and got similar results starting out.

It said between 1.080 and 1.100. We have fluoride added to the water here and I read things about hard/soft water and so on. I am wondering if I should be looking at using bottled water instead? I've been doing a bit of reading and getting a lot of different opinions out there.
I'm also making two 6 bottle kits and got similar results starting out.

Personally, I always use bottled spring water. At 88 cents/gallon it's just a little added "insurance" for me. Our city water supply consistently is certified as pure but I'd rather use the spring water.

If you've had no problems, I'm not going to tell you to switch, but you may want to consider trying it both ways just to see.

I might try using bottled water next time. No harm in seeing if it makes any difference alright. Also when you think about how much water I have to add to the grape juice from the original kit it is very little and very cheap. Cheers

Latest posts

Back