RJ Spagnols RJS EP Australian Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Years - I think this will be moving to clearing today. The SG the other day was about 0.994. So, I'm thinking we're home.

Edit: not today. Still at 0.994. Want to give it a little more time.

Last edited:
Racked this morning and added kmeta and clarifiers. This is the first time I had the presence of mind to watch the solids fall out of the suspension... fascinating. There's a good inch or so of sediment at the bottom.

The wine reached 0.992, btw, which brings us in at 14.2% ABV.

I racked this off the lees yesterday and got a little taste. The wine is crystal clear, surprisingly dark, with a fruity nose and palate - black cherry I'm thinking.

I've got an AIO headspace eliminator on it now - the wine is about a 750 short of topped up. I'm planning to age this 6 months in the carboy (at least). So, I'll eventually need to top up with something commercial or rack down to a 5gal and bottle the rest.

You mentioned earlier that you "dropped" the pectinase, do you mean that you didn't add it?
How has the oak powder worked out? I'm suprised that there was an oak addition to a PN kit.

You mentioned earlier that you "dropped" the pectinase, do you mean that you didn't add it?

How has the oak powder worked out? I'm suprised that there was an oak addition to a PN kit.

I did this one pretty much per the instructions. I didn't add sorbate. IIRC, that's the point when the instructions said to add the pectanese, so I did.

I was especially surprised to see the oak powder. But some sacrificial tannin seems to jive very well with the bolder Aussie PN juice.

I'll sample it every few months after bottling. But, this one will sit for about 18 months until I really dig in to it - maybe longer.

I am really interested in a Pinot Noir but not sure which kit is the best. I really like the Eclipse kits but they do not have a wine skins pack. Tks for the updates on your kit. Sounds interesting.
I'm also wondering why people don't use the sorbate.

I am really interested in a Pinot Noir but not sure which kit is the best. I really like the Eclipse kits but they do not have a wine skins pack. Tks for the updates on your kit. Sounds interesting.
I'm also wondering why people don't use the sorbate.

Pinot is light enough that you can probably get away with not having skins. The powdered oak will deliver some tannin to make up for it and you could always add tannin on your own as well.

Sorbate is there to aid in the prevention of fermentation. In the case of a fully dry wine, there is no sugar left and therefore no fermentation should be taking place. For dry wine kits, the manufacturers probably include it simply as an insurance policy. Some (including myself) say that it imparts a bubble gum flavor. This usually fades with aging, but many winemakers simply skip using it for dry wines.

Latest posts

Back