1 Gal 17% alcohol from sugar/water now what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_lapaglia

Reaction score
Hi,
For an experiment I took 1 gallon of water added sugar to get a SG of 1.131. I used Lavin EC-1118 yeast and after 9 days its reading 1.000 with no activity that I can see. All sterile procedures were followed.
Now I have a gallon of water that is 17.7% alcohol if I did the math correctly.

Starting SG - ending SG / 7.36
1.131 - 1.000/7.36 = 17.79 give or take.

Since it was an experiment and I don't normally drink I am wondering if there is anything I can do with the gallon. Can I used it with frozen concentrate like apple juice or lemonade and make something that others will enjoy. should I dilute it further to get a lower ABV first.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Michael, we call that 'vodka light'. Try mixing with fruit juices.

You can also check out http://www.brewhaus.com or http://www.brewhaus.ca for essences that can be mixed with "vodka light" to make liqueurs or liquors.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Should I cut it down to about 5-10 % is 18% too much. Not being a drinker I have no idea but the things like a Hard Lemonade are sold in the 5-7% range.

Michael

MIchael I haven't personally tried making a 'hard lemonade', but your suggestion sounds like a good starting place. Remember adding lemonade reduces the alcohol.

We tend to make screwdrivers or wallbangers...vodka light + oj + galliano

The galliano is made from vodka light + essence from brewhaus.

Steve

Michael I haven't personally tried making a 'hard lemonade', but your suggestion sounds like a good starting place. Remember adding lemonade reduces the alcohol.

We tend to make screwdrivers or wallbangers...vodka light + oj + galliano

The galliano is made from vodka light + essence from brewhaus.

Steve

For what its worth I took 12 oz of lemonade concentrate, it makes 64 oz. Put the concentrate, 20 oz of water and 32 oz of a 12% Vodka lite in a jug and shook it well. Chilled it for a day. My son the Bartender says its better than the bottled stuff he sells at the bar. It has a ABV of 6%. Every one that likes this kind of drink says it tastes good. So I'm happy. Now I have to make enough for my sons Halloween party. He decided to serve it to his guests. I take that as a compliment. :)

Michael

Now that's what I call a cool father! My own father used to just beat me with a stick. :)

Now that's what I call a cool father! My own father used to just beat me with a stick. :)

For the record. This son is 23 years old and makes his living as a bartender. My 20 year old daughter will have to wait for her birthday before I make some for her partys.

:D

I'll refrain from commenting on your 20 year old daughter. Lest you too, decide to beat me with a stick.:D

Latest posts

Back