Substituting Sugar with Honey Ratio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As with anything, it depends on what else is in the recipe. Certain fruits add more sugar than others, and it depends on how high you want your starting SG. Best to find a similar recipe and then always start low and add more sugar according to your hydrometer reading. Even honey to honey is a little different.
I would do a google search, or check jack keller for a basic recipe with sugar. The nutrient needs are different between honey and sugar.

Debbie

As with anything, it depends on what else is in the recipe. Certain fruits add more sugar than others, and it depends on how high you want your starting SG. Best to find a similar recipe and then always start low and add more sugar according to your hydrometer reading. Even honey to honey is a little different.
I would do a google search, or check jack keller for a basic recipe with sugar. The nutrient needs are different between honey and sugar.

Debbie

Thanks. After Some hunting on Keller's Site I found its 1.25 lb of honey to 1lb of sugar.

Just make sure you don't start with that much.... you don't want to have to add water to make it drinkable!! SG 1.080 - 1.090 works well.

Debbie

Just make sure you don't start with that much.... you don't want to have to add water to make it drinkable!! SG 1.080 - 1.090 works well.

Debbie

This is really good advice. Make sure to follow your SG and never add sugar or honey all at once. If you accidently over shoot and have to add water, you lessen the quality of your wine.

Honey consist of about 80% sugar and about 20% water.

So to get the ratio right you should multiply the amount of sugar needed by:

So when a recipe asks for 2 kilo sugar (2000 gram) you would need to add 2 x 1.25= 2.5 kilo (2500 gram) honey.

Luc

Back