WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Years Eve went down the hill to the neighbors. She had a winery Old Vine Zin for us to drink. I asked to also please open up one of her 375's from her kit...she did.

The store bought was a 5 star rated wine that I thought was very easy to forget...may be they were small stars. Her's had a very similar taste profile right after opening it. But, an hour later, it had opened up was much more jammy and fuller...I liked her's much better and it was bottled in Sept. and was the "bottom of the bucket dregs".

Mine is just bulk aging right now, but I have very high hopes now!

Thats great! Mine is in carboy 8months now. Thinking about bottling but maybe I should wait?

-johann

My Lodi old vine Zin is sitting at seven months now. I'm hoping to keep my reds carboy bound until they are at least a year. Then let them sit in the bottle for another nine months to a year. There is a long term wine storage company right next to my work. I think as soon as I bottle the batches from last year. I will take two cases of each there for storage / aging.

Last edited:
How do they charge for storage? By the bottle? Case? Per month? Per year? Is it costly?

Here is what they sent me for pricing.

* Storage: $2.00 per case per month.
* Inventory: $2.00 per solid case of the same wine with an additional $4.00 fee for mixed cases. We provide you with complete online access to the account via a secure login from our public website.
* Pull fees: $2.00 for solid cases of the same wine.
* Bottle pull: $3.00 per unique case accessed for individual bottles pulled.
* Pick up/Delivery: $5.00 per case with a $40.00 minimum.​

They can also provide boxes for the wine to be stored in.

12 cell corrugate storage boxes (preferably double walled so that cardboard does not fatigue with time since storing on side). We have if you need to purchase. They cost $6.50 per box.​

Last edited:
I recently picked this kit up and it looks great but I was seriously doubting the WineExpert yeast choice (EC-1118 in the kit). I would think that something like 71B would perform much better in a Zinfandel. I know EC-1118 is the choice for many kits because it ferments and drops out quickly but for an Eclipse level kit I would think they would choose a yeast specifically for the style of wine.

Has anyone tried substituting a different yeast on this one?

I recently picked this kit up and it looks great but I was seriously doubting the WineExpert yeast choice (EC-1118 in the kit). I would think that something like 71B would perform much better in a Zinfandel. I know EC-1118 is the choice for many kits because it ferments and drops out quickly but for an Eclipse level kit I would think they would choose a yeast specifically for the style of wine.

Has anyone tried substituting a different yeast on this one?

Yes - BM45 or BM4x4 would do well in this kit.

Here is what they sent me for pricing.

* Storage: $2.00 per case per month.
* Inventory: $2.00 per solid case of the same wine with an additional $4.00 fee for mixed cases. We provide you with complete online access to the account via a secure login from our public website.
* Pull fees: $2.00 for solid cases of the same wine.
* Bottle pull: $3.00 per unique case accessed for individual bottles pulled.
* Pick up/Delivery: $5.00 per case with a $40.00 minimum.​

They can also provide boxes for the wine to be stored in.

12 cell corrugate storage boxes (preferably double walled so that cardboard does not fatigue with time since storing on side). We have if you need to purchase. They cost $6.50 per box.​

Been checking in my area as well...similar deal. At those prices, it has me looking at finishing out an existing shed and using a CoolBot to control temps.

What I really did not like is they would not allow me to look at their "cellar"....I said fine, then I'm not going to show my money either. I was distantly involved on the construction of those storage units...I do not think they have the R factor, nor the HVAC system to maintain the quoted 55 degree storage temp....I think they have a sign that say Wine Storage.

Latest posts

Back