WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that kit going now too. I really don't get why they have you only leave the oak cubes in for a few days. Everything I have read about cubes talk about it taking at least a couple of months to impart their goodness and that they can keep going for up to a year.

I have that kit going now too. I really don't get why they have you only leave the oak cubes in for a few days. Everything I have read about cubes talk about it taking at least a couple of months to impart their goodness and that they can keep going for up to a year.

Absolutely - wait until you're racking the last time, drop your oak and wait 3 months. Rack and dose w KMeta. Wait another 3 months, dose and bottle.

I just racked this one off the lees and oak cubes and dosed it with just under a 1 gram of SO2 to boost it up to 47ppm. I let it sit for about three months on the oak. I didn't actually taste it yet as I was also racking my Shiraz which I in tend on bottling next weekend. I will probably rack this again next weekend as I may go ahead and bottle this one at the same time. I will definitely get a taste then.

I just racked this one off the lees and oak cubes and dosed it with just under a 1 gram of SO2 to boost it up to 47ppm. I let it sit for about three months on the oak. I didn't actually taste it yet as I was also racking my Shiraz which I in tend on bottling next weekend. I will probably rack this again next weekend as I may go ahead and bottle this one at the same time. I will definitely get a taste then.

You're going to like this one a lot.

My Lodi OVZ turns 7 months old in two days, it went into barrel 2 on the sep 5th and won't emerge until early in 2017. It was racked a couple times before, also been keeping up with the KMS. No other chems used in this one other than KMS, clear as a bell and gas free going into the barrel.

So here's a little question:

I have 4 gallons of Petite Sirah grape skins from this year sitting in my freezer. WHAT IF, I got an OVZ kit and did primary fermentation in a big brute container with all four gallons of skins over the jammy skin pack they include with the kit?

I have 4 gallons of Petite Sirah grape skins from this year sitting in my freezer. WHAT IF, I got an OVZ kit and did primary fermentation in a big brute container with all four gallons of skins over the jammy skin pack they include with the kit?

I'd buy paint strainer bags and press by hand, that's what I'm doing with the Malbec kit, plus I used the jammy included pack too. Just adjusted by adding some more oak to the primary (just another ounce/28g). Don't want the flavor of those leftover skins hiding the oak that is due to me upon kit completion.

You would be happy, the skins would be happy, and the wine would be yummy. I did an MM Meglioli kit with the grape pack + skins, and finished it with nothing but KMS and some time in a carboy, it's clear as a bell and waiting to get into a barrel. It came out tasting like a grape wine right out of the chute, really big on fruit, but still green.

Short of real grapes in your kit, this is, IMHO, the next best option, the kit is already balanced and thus far, skins haven't changed that balance for me. In case you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of once pressed skins in a kit. My best results have been when the skin quantity is the leftovers from grapes that made six gallons of wine.

Short of real grapes in your kit, this is, IMHO, the next best option, the kit is already balanced and thus far, skins haven't changed that balance for me.

Just to be very clear - these are real skins, left over from pressing my Lanza Vineyards Petite Sirah last month. The PS and Zin are so compatible, though... I think it would be unbelievably good.

Craig's suggestion is right on - I'd put them in paint straining bags and drop them in with the pack of skins that come with the kit.

Use both. I just did that with the skins from my Lanza Cabernet and added them to the LR 3 Country Cab kit I got earlier this year.

Use both. I just did that with the skins from my Lanza Cabernet and added them to the LR 3 Country Cab kit I got earlier this year.

Your thread is what got me thinking in these terms. I thought, okay - I have these skins... what's the best use of them. Zin and PS are excellent together, so I can't help but think that it would improve an already great kit.

Just to be very clear - these are real skins, left over from pressing my Lanza Vineyards Petite Sirah last month

I completely get that, have done it numerous times. Didn't use paint strainer bags, they went in loose, tried to get everything I could since they'd been pressed once. Once AF is near the end, pressed the skins and racked as normal.

I completely get that, have done it numerous times. Didn't use paint strainer bags, they went in loose, tried to get everything I could since they'd been pressed once. Once AF is near the end, pressed the skins and racked as normal.

I had suggested using the paint strainer bags to avoid Jim having to make a bucket press of his own or me getting my bucket press over to his place. I did think about putting them in loose with my Malbec batch since it's 18+ lbs, but didn't want to have to press next week during the week (I doubt it will be done by Sunday).

You guys aren't helping me at all! I have the OVZ Eclipse kit sitting in the corner. I had promised myself I would do this kit straight up with tweaks....y'all are yanking my chain pretty hard!

You guys aren't helping me at all! I have the OVZ Eclipse kit sitting in the corner. I had promised myself I would do this kit straight up with tweaks....y'all are yanking my chain pretty hard!

Well, any good experiment needs a standard to measure it against. Yours will be the standard in this case. Just make the kit, age it and send it to @jgmann67 and @johnd and others and you will be 1st in line for the home winemaking hall of fame!

Well, any good experiment needs a standard to measure it against. Yours will be the standard in this case. Just make the kit, age it and send it to @jgmann67 and @johnd and others and you will be 1st in line for the home winemaking hall of fame!

My "problem"...if it is a problem...I read Joe's tweaking thread when I was just getting started in this hobby. so, EVERY kit I've made has been tweaked or tortured depending on your point of view!

Ordered the Eclipse Bravado and OVZ based on all the positive reviews posted here...my first high end kits with skins. I have learned the patience part of wine making the hard way. Now, I am working on RESTRAINT...I still remember my Dad telling me "Hey Boy! Don't touch that!"....but, I had to touch the electric fence, just couldn't help myself.

Also based on posted comments here....I bought two cases of 375ml bottles for "testing purposes". If this Bravado is anywhere near as good as it smells right now, there is no way it will last two years to maturity in 750ml bottles!

Also based on posted comments here....I bought two cases of 375ml bottles for "testing purposes". If this Bravado is anywhere near as good as it smells right now, there is no way it will last two years to maturity in 750ml bottles!

I can tell you that the group on this thread probably tweeks 75% or more of their kits, so you are in good company. The 375's have been wonderful for both giving away samples and grabbing a sample of my own when I don't want to use a 750. Believe it or not I still have the full two cases (24 bottles) of 750's for my Forza which was started at the end of July 2015. That to me is just incredible, all because of 8 or 10 375's that I bottled with this batch. So keep filling those 375's!

Not sure but if I still have a 375 Forza left it is toast tonight.

Edit: (7:22 PM EDST) I found a Forza, I found a Forza (in a 9 year old girls shrill voice (like my youngest daughters)). I'd say it that way but every one might exit the house and not come back. Chillin' it to 60*F, will report back in the what is in my glass tonight thread.

Last edited:
Since the zin is about a month older that the Fourtitude, I figured I'd bottle it first. I'll get the other in a week or two.

I racked it twice today, just to be sure I got all the co2. It's tasting fine now and will age another year or so till it starts to hit its prime, I think.

9 bottles @ 375 ml.
26 bottles @ 750 ml.

Now I just have to name it...

Named: Into The Mystic.

Last edited:
Back