WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
I started my Eclipse Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel today.

It didn't start off well. One of the chitosan packets had a slight hole it in and basically got all over everything in the small plastic bag. The instructions were all stuck together and the stuff was all over everything, but it doesn't appear to have soaked through the other packets of powder and stuff.

It appears to be missing about 20% of the contents of the packet compared to the second one that came with it. (it had two) I separated it and put it so no more can come out of it. Hopefully it's okay and 90% of the chitosan is enough to handle the batch. Any suggestions on this? exposure won't ruin this stuff will it? I can replace it with some Super Kleer if needed.

The must was at 80F when I was ready to pitch the yeast. The instruction said don't do it unless it's between 72-75F, but honestly, I just pitched it anyhow as the must was cooling quickly and the only reason it was at 80F is because went I heated the spring water, I got it a bit warmer than normal. I suspect the must is probably around 75F or less now. (it's been at least 4-5 hours) The gravity was at 1.099

The Zinfandel smells absolutely wonderful!

The obligatory pic.

q6fSPsnE0DWTc5WsKArGtQ1DE5kZz1VenBalJqmpjJ79wjxR9DU9FRnNBz2Pt1Nhb4pmGJT4xqu8F0xReQnlmJLxFuv8rkwoOnNegsTOk9NDxLVux-8GVVas4nWbBWP34E3XIBjNUT5uuSn1cHuJJLAS0OTTWs7WD980LBjK1hR5QpBcIWzJucv8Vb4jHXQ72PueUj8RybKC4xL-z0x2Ej1gz5EJWvm53nB1TDNh2GGYNAaPP3TpFo4PK7SJLVJEYKFrpMQqK5P5Q3MTikHpydScTxdRShZZ60Z4-WcFf5dGzRrDl0Vi1V4NY2GfXXaBLC53m791noxfCZJS35DzDpNlp2dXWNHaHKaP68aftZVhkbg0zXd_PSt_gJlScmmT4ZW_lHdWN2l3pQrgq7-O2DIpjI21OzmiYzw9jq1cLpShegntgIGtpt1nBj5oXLBIBfeGifJPI8MCWYqFwqPUc9dc0lJ_L6BjnXerHCbgytt258f_Bs52TKD9PP5BfLbp-DStwu61s94BgXZlgCXgCdSjhFmRJbtb2tGZSw6_vzCsmc4VBgzX57uQWpPgdcRo2VJUmMLrOGhI2dC5JRtKPbN999Dv4Vs=w735-h979-no

I wouldn't worry about the temps, it should do just fine. Pitch the chitosan and contact your LHBS, you should get a new one easily. You're then back in business to follow the instructions.

Consider going a little rogue. I'm doing the same kit now, it's several months old, fermented it and added KMS when it was all finished, nothing else. I'm going to bulk age for a year, maybe run it through a barrel, it'll clear on its own in time.

I want this kit, I had a store bought bottle and it was pretty awesome. But...my neighbor lady is starting this kit now and I know I'll get a few bottles and a taste. So, I plan on waiting, but is on my list.

I did my first punch down and stir today. I also happen to taste it. OMG! If it ends up tasting anywhere close to what it tastes like now, the odds in me allowing it to age for 2 years did NOT improve! :)

I have two batches about three months old and it smells fantastic. One was for my business partner but that batch may go bad and I'll just refuse payment. :) I think both David and I are going to be very happy with this kit!

So, I cranked this up on Sunday and here we are four days later and the gravity is already at 1.005 which means fermentation wise. I should be able to move it to the secondary (carboy). I didn't do that though because this has a grape skin pack and I figured I want it to macerate more and the instructions say to wait seven days.

I figured with as much gas is in it now, it's probably okay to sit until probably Sunday to rack it into secondary fermentation. I just wanted to get some of your opinions on the matter.

I have to say though. This is the first batch (only my fourth) that the heat from fermentation took the must up over 80F. The other times they got close to 80F (say 78F), but not quite reaching it. This one got as high as 84F and probably why it fermented in basically four days. It was absolutely booming on Tuesday when I got home from work and dropped a full 0.050 (1.070 to 1.020) from Tuesday till when I checked it on Wednesday. Tuesday was when it was at 84F. I keep it in a closet that is kept at 72F currently it's back down to 78F and was 78F yesterday also.

Temp will drop some more as you depart active fermentation. Even though your guide is the hydrometer, you're fine waiting a few days if you want. You'll likely get to 0.990 by then.

Stir and punch down your wine 2x/day, you'll get where you wanna go.

I just racked it from secondary to a new carboy for the clearing stage and tossed in the french oak cubes. While it's a bit rough around the edges, it's definitely packed with flavor! I bet this is going to be really good when it's ready! I'm excited about it!

e6cRbRFYaYlQcNtBEa6nmJs59pYjxXGnkNGIHNsFAdnhGpgBt7FxHl3yJcZR23KWoSRUC5LoYnVxtZNgpXjJOhH2JezSED4sw1u3wz4Hfv876x9dfermqpSM9b3-GdsThQ-uc7BiPSlnBhBLc0eR3DtJyBQpLJxRkdvVi2-qlUXM2Ig8uCNKt478M4yD9mmGomkEiwZCWEm59XEK4Z3lz3aCJvWSRcCzDEKkZn9jtzMdRbJ6IfkY8JaOTrFYSuo8t-owogj22FbplUmEvBCH7lL8qO62QuiyT63pWpeInxMjtco_yFfW2kPkDHEY612BmdEv_o6U6LUfPmHCEcTeLViF58T6MAcdmYOqiYIaalMyCFO0F9KyfrvJ4NPrbNAFRp8IO24H3snPFRYXAE8vjtiNlvYL9B4yuRGr1Sp3lVoNmYt_ejMzNJ5SlcXXlWJWXSps83hPggZ46-mXNFNZRo5Bc3H6qM0Sx-xfKuX-3I9dD6dzFBlJhIrWgeT2ItRkxqEZp8uFd1tG7g70KkwrbFhpIGuuFHrhuZS8bDQ5f_6vInwIVJg5lUuCjcW6CtpCS3Pv67BllvIAXSZ-vno9f_ojYe_j7WvI=w600-h799-no

Top that puppy up!

I should top up now? I did that last time and then I thought I was wrong and should have waited till next racking. I thought maybe I should top up in 8-10 days when I rack it again for secondary clearing / oak cube removal. The instructions never mention topping up, but does say do not top up with water at this point (section 4) as it will change the profile of the wine. (I wasn't going to use water anyhow!)

I will stop at the wine shop on my way home to pick up a couple of bottles of Zinfandel to top it up then.

I love the AIO's degassing feature! While it still has some gas and I did use the wine whip a little bit, it is mostly degassed now. I figured by next racking / whipping for secondary clearing, it will be fully degassed. If it had been fully degassed last night, I would have topped up right then.

There's still some gas in there, based on your pic. A few days is probably fine.

You really need about a 6 week soak to extract all the goodness from those cubes.

There's still some gas in there, based on your pic. A few days is probably fine.

You really need about a 6 week soak to extract all the goodness from those cubes.

Okay, the instructions said 8 days. I usually do things on my schedule which is a bit slower than the instructions, but six weeks is much longer than my schedule haha. So, maybe I will top it up tonight and then give it a few weeks rather than 8-10 days.

Thanks for the tip Jim!

Of course, time on oak is all subject to your desire for oak flavor. IMO, the kits are light on oak though. So for me, the max time is what I go with and will sometimes add more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, time on oak is all subject to your desire for oak flavor. IMO, the kits are light on oak though. So for me, the max time is what I go with and will sometimes add more.

At your suggestion (your suggestion of oaking the Dry Creek Chardonnay was right on!) I will let it set longer than the 10 days I intended.

I haven't decided how long, but at least a few weeks rather than just 1-1 1/2 weeks.

Back