WineXpert Eclipse Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
We're down to the last couple bottles from 3/2013. This has been a nice drinkable wine since somewhere between the 18-24 month mark. But at three years, it's now showing some of the wonderful characteristics of some of the finer commercial barolo's we've enjoyed. Wish we'd let more of this age to and beyond this point. Next run is still only 12 months old :ft, but due to bottle this month...:db

Just put mine into the rotation a month or two ago but haven't really hit it too much. Almost 2.5 years old. Maybe I should box it back up. :h

Just put mine into the rotation a month or two ago but haven't really hit it too much. Almost 2.5 years old. Maybe I should box it back up. :h

Yes, box it up... I'll pm you my address and you can send it postage due to me. I will take good care of it. I promise.

We're down to the last couple bottles from 3/2013. This has been a nice drinkable wine since somewhere between the 18-24 month mark. But at three years, it's now showing some of the wonderful characteristics of some of the finer commercial barolo's we've enjoyed. Wish we'd let more of this age to and beyond this point. Next run is still only 12 months old :ft, but due to bottle this month...:db
Not that mine will ever be around that long, but how much are you paying for those "finer commercial Barolos"?

Not that mine will ever be around that long, but how much are you paying for those "finer commercial Barolos"?

Usually enjoyed when we're out to eat some place, so we're paying at least twice what they should cost. Usually around $60 or so. Occasionally we'll find some at Costco in the $20-$30 range.

:( I made a few of these kits about a year ago, looks like I need to hold off on drinking them for longer than planned.

Mine's been out of the barrel for a month now, it's just about 9 months old and will be getting bottled this long weekend. Plan to stash it for a good long bottle sit.

Cracked one of mine last night. Very nice at 2.5 years and still improving.

Space making continues, and yes, I'm bottling a few wines before they're a year old, but I just gotta make some space for the Chileans when they arrive. Today, I bottled the Wine Expert Eclipse Italian Nebbiolo with Grape skins. Still on my testing proficiency kick, so here's the Nebbiolo by the numbers:

Pitched yeast - EC 1118 on 8/2/15, grape pack loose in must
OG - 1.100
Ferm complete 8/12/15
FG - .993, didn't use kit oak
Racked 8/24 & 11/24/15, no sediment after that
First wine into barrel 2 on 1/30/16
Out of barrel 2/28/16 and into glass
Bottled 3/27/16
Ph - 3.55
TA - 7.1 or .71
SO2 - 76 PPM
Once again, good numbers from the kit. Didn't do any tasting, gonna let it rest for a while before trying it.

image.jpg

Space making continues, and yes, I'm bottling a few wines before they're a year old, but I just gotta make some space for the Chileans when they arrive. Today, I bottled the Wine Expert Eclipse Italian Nebbiolo with Grape skins. Still on my testing proficiency kick, so here's the Nebbiolo by the numbers:

Pitched yeast - EC 1118 on 8/2/15, grape pack loose in must
OG - 1.100
Ferm complete 8/12/15
FG - .993, didn't use kit oak
Racked 8/24 & 11/24/15, no sediment after that
First wine into barrel 2 on 1/30/16
Out of barrel 2/28/16 and into glass
Bottled 3/27/16
Ph - 3.55
TA - 7.1 or .71
SO2 - 76 PPM
Once again, good numbers from the kit. Didn't do any tasting, gonna let it rest for a while before trying it.

John,
What are you using to test your SO2?

Ted

John, I'm noticing a lowering of your standards. You had better get that wine room done PDQ!

BTW, I must have had a bit too much of my keg beer on Saturday, that 375 ml Forza bottle kicked my butt. I was rather fuzzy all Sunday!

John, I'm noticing a lowering of your standards. You had better get that wine room done PDQ!

BTW, I must have had a bit too much of my keg beer on Saturday, that 375 ml Forza bottle kicked my butt. I was rather fuzzy all Sunday!

Craig, had to bottle a few months early, but still holding fast to laying off the young ones. Bottled two at around 8 months, clear as a bell and no sediment, but I'm keeping them out of the refrigerated cellars until the wine room is done. It'll probably get moving forward when the framer is free in the next 10 days or so.
My leftover Forza sample glass definitely warmed the insides, it needs to sleep and mellow for a bit.

Vinmetrica SC - 300 is what I use for my testing. Run titrations for both SO2 and TA, simple probe reading for the Ph.

Thanks, that's a nice product. I was hoping for a cheaper solution. Good to know that the kits are pretty well balanced and good SO2 by following the instructions.

Thanks, that's a nice product. I was hoping for a cheaper solution. Good to know that the kits are pretty well balanced and good SO2 by following the instructions.

It's definitely nice, fairly user friendly, and accurate to boot.

I've only tested two kits, just never felt the need, but decided it would be good practice. Understandably, two tests does not a trend make, but those two were solid at Ph 3.55 and TA .72/.72. Those are pretty steady numbers and I've not tampered with the acid in either. I intend to keep checking kits as I bottle, mostly because I want my SO2 right, but it's nice to get used to the right numbers while I wait for grapes and ready for my own adjustments. I only wish I'd tested them pre fermentation too. Future projects for sure, guess I have a little chemist curiosity in my brain.

Craig, had to bottle a few months early, but still holding fast to laying off the young ones. Bottled two at around 8 months, clear as a bell and no sediment, but I'm keeping them out of the refrigerated cellars until the wine room is done. It'll probably get moving forward when the framer is free in the next 10 days or so.
My leftover Forza sample glass definitely warmed the insides, it needs to sleep and mellow for a bit.

Okay, I guess that is fine. I thought I heard the squeal of a young wine trying to escape.

All "funning" aside, I am trying to build up enough carboys to get at least one year for the reds before bottling. You gave me the inspiration, it's much harder to drink them when they are in the carboy. I'm within two months for one of them from my Chilean batch last Spring, but have to bottle some of these white wines/fruit wines to make room for the Chilean purchases to come in a month or so.

I did get a "donation" of two 5 gallon and two three gallon glass carboys, which has helped the cause. The original owner has been a mentor to me as of late but they are moving a few hours away and didn't want to clean/pack/haul something he can buy when he gets settled in. I was more than willing to take them off his hands and give them a home where they will be well used and appreciated.

Okay, I guess that is fine. I thought I heard the squeal of a young wine trying to escape.

Well, I don't know what that sounds like, so I'll trust your experience!!

Ok, couldn't resist. Same boat here, if there bottled, trying them is tempting, I'm doing the same as you, in the carboy, out of my glass. I really do need some carboys free, four for the Chileans and a preorder kit, so one more bottling session and I'm good. Next up is the NZ Sauvignon Blanc, no risk of me drinking that.......

I just cracked my first bottle from a June 2015 batch and wow. If this gets better over the next year, that will be some darn good wine. Not sure it will make it that far...

I just cracked my first bottle from a June 2015 batch and wow. If this gets better over the next year, that will be some darn good wine. Not sure it will make it that far...

I can assure you, it definitely gets better. We're finally at the point where we made enough consecutive batches, where we bottle at 12-14 months, then start opening the occasional bottle at about 24 months. We now have a good quantity of inventory growing beyond the three year point, where the magic seems to start happening. Let it age, it's well worth it.

Latest posts

Back