WineXpert Amarone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, and perhaps coincidentally, that's just at your legal limit for winemaking!

Yeah, I am planning to put my Amarone and Nebbiolo in Burgundy bottles, as those seem pretty close to the Italian shape. My Super Tuscans, on the other hand, I am planning to put them in Bordeaux bottles, because that is what I mostly see real Super Tuscans in.

OTOH, I will also use whatever I have on hand, in a pinch!

I have about 50 cases of bottles cleaned with the labels removed. I was just to lazy to go up into the attic to get the correct bottles. I used what I already had in the cellar.

I usually make about 600-750 bottles a year tops. It all depends on how much my reserves get depleted.

Last edited:
Interesting observation with the evening stir. Temp is around 75* and we're building a good head of steam in the primary. Tomorrow should be bubbling like nobody's business. That's all pretty run of the mill.

Interesting is the smell - that I'm going to attribute to the Hungarian oak dust... Very earthy, like fresh moss and mushroom, with leather in the background. The cap was dark, looking like the oak dust and yeast are REALLY getting along, with the bag of grapes just starting to float.

I've never used this kind of oak. But, I'm doing everything while observing all the usual Boy Scout cleanliness rules. So, unless someone chimes in and tells me that something is very wrong, I'm thinking life is good.

Thank you, Joeswine, Johnd and Vaccumpumpman for talking me through - Amarone is a big red wine. Between the high alcohol and the Hungarian oak, the odor from the primary is typical. So, all is well.... Stir and punch twice daily till we get to 1.020. Then, chapitalization and ferment some more.

The morning stir - earth nose is fading. SG at about 1.054. Life is good.

UPDATE:

I wrote the good people at Winexpert and was told that the reason for the off smell in most kits was "poor sanitation." They directed me to their Q&A on the their website... I (kindly) responded that this was a brand new primary that I oxy'ed, rinsed and sanitized before use; and that other equipment gets the same treatment before use. Less than informative response, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Headed home from DC in a few hours. The Amarone should be just about ready for chapitalization tonight. Was able to get SWMBO to give the wine a good stir yesterday.

I'm hoping the nose is back to something more pleasing.

Oh, our friends at winexpert are looking into the issue further. But, with the comments I got here and my conversation with Matt at LP, I think it's just this kit.

So we're moving right along. The SG 1.012 so, merrily we went a chapitalizing. After dropping the syrup, SG is back up to 1.026 - right in the breadbasket. Temp is a perfect 70* F.

If I'm doing the math right, and assuming a FG of 0.992, I get around 15.5% ABV. yes?

This morning, I find myself faced with the age old question: the instructions say wait 5-7 days after chapitalization, then check to ensure the SG is below a certain reading (like 1.010, I think). But, as part of my morning stir, I check temp and SG. We're already at 0.998. It's been 3 days. I can either do the racking tomorrow (4 days) or wait till Sunday (8 days). I could sneak it in early on Thursday (5 days) I suppose. But would 12 hours make that much of a difference?

The wine was sweet two days ago. I didn't taste it this morning. But the nose is still sweet berry. Guess I'll taste it tomorrow night and decide. I'm leaning towards a late racking tomorrow or an early racking Thursday.

In the mix

let your hydrometer be your guide, that's your destination end.:h..use your tools.

I am guessing you are already under airlock and have racked once. I would wait. But you should probably know I usually follow something like Jack Kellers extended kit directions and leave it sitting for about three weeks, even though the directions might say 5-7 days.

Actually, no. Chapitalization is done in the primary, with movement to the carboy in 5-7 days.

I'm inclined to move the wine tonight or tomorrow, racking to glass with an airlock. It's still producing a good amount of airlock activity, so I'm not terribly afraid of oxidation.

It only gets better in time !
I made mine in July and looking to bottle soon - and let them age even longer in the bottle.

Racked the Amarone for clearing this morning. Noticed a bit of (what I assume to be) protein haze at the top. Hoping that's going to settle down.

Surprised at how much sediment I got. I'll need to do some shopping this weekend for a good wine to top up in another 8 days.

The Arsenal of glass carboys is up to 5.

Jim, I also used a Bardolino to top off my Amarone. Mine was in the carboy for 13 months, 4 years later in the bottle, I was surprised how much sediment was in the bottle. The taste was AWESOME, just don't look inside the bottle. I also had wine diamonds in half of the bottles. My newer Amrone is in the carboy one year now & will try to keep it there for 2 years. Roy

Jim, I also used a Bardolino to top off my Amarone. Mine was in the carboy for 13 months, 4 years later in the bottle, I was surprised how much sediment was in the bottle. The taste was AWESOME, just don't look inside the bottle. I also had wine diamonds in half of the bottles. My newer Amrone is in the carboy one year now & will try to keep it there for 2 years. Roy

Hmmm. Diamonds and sediment?? Would cold stabilizing have avoided that? I hear a lot about it, just never tried it. Also not sure how I'd cold stabilize mine between now and bottling in August (without having my wife ask me why there's a giant jug of wine in the garage fridge anyway :db).

Glad this is tasting well, but FOUR YEARS???? Holy crap, dude.

Looks like tonight is a good night to rack and drink some Bardolino. Mrs Mann is off to girl's night, so it's either do something productive, like rack my wine, or binge watch House of Cards. Season 4 is much better than 3, but not as good as 1 or 2 so far.

Latest posts

Back