Want your own winery?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$900 grand for property alone. The biz value can easily double or triple that. Pass.

even when you make money the pleasure drops

Psychologists refer to something they call the over-justification effect. If you pay someone money to do something they previously enjoyed doing the pleasure they get from doing that activity drops. (the intrinsic pleasure drops and the extrinsic - what money the receive - becomes more important...) so it's not simply that you might go broke shifting a hobby into a business. You begin quite quickly to lose the pleasure you got from the activity itself when it was a pleasure activity. Now it's work.
http://psychology.about.com/od/motivation/f/overjustification-effect.htm

counter-intuitive I know, but there is a great deal of data to support this.

Last edited:
Hey Bernard, you wouldn't happen to know any psychologists, would ya? ;)

Yeah, making wine is enough dadgum work without having to make money at it, too. Plus, I wouldn't be able to get drunk off what I made cuz I'd have to sell it.

That would mess with what psychologists call the "reward center" of my brain (an MRI shows my prefrontal cortex looks from inside much like a well-stocked liquor store, but that's another subject!). :)

All very good points! Bernard, that's very interesting as well. I am a musician and have always loved playing but when I play music in a band it becomes less enjoyable. Interesting.

If I had extra money, say a powerball winning ticket, I'd buy a winery. That way, you wouldn't "have to" make money. That would take all the pressure off and give me a professional place to play winemaker.

When does the powerball go off?

Latest posts

Back