Why filter wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabiola

Reaction score
I have seen several videos in youtube, and what I have learned in this forum so far (which is a lot), people ferment, rack, stabilize and bottle wine, but also there are some comments on filtering the wine, and since I don't see filtration as part of the regular process, I have some questions: Should all types of wine be filtered? In what situations wine needs to be filter and what is the purpose of it?

Last edited:
If you are entering a wine in a competition then white wines can really be polished and make even a nice clear wine gleam! Reds sometimes have chemical imbalances with them that can sometimes really make them drop out a lot of color later and filtering can sometimes prevent that or just lessen it. If your not bulk aging your wines around a year then I will advice filtering for you as even after 6 months many wines will drop sediment in the bottle.

I also filter all of my wine. Do they all need it? No! But it will make a clear white sparkle and also help red's as Wade mentioned. Because I can do it in one step as I'm bottling it only makes sense not to skip the process.

Well that it's for me...opens a link to search for a filter system.

Anyone have any recommendations for an affordable filter system for a newbie to wine making? I don't want to spend hundreds because I'm just starting out and don't even know if I'm capable of making good wines yet since my first batch is in secondary still, lol

I filter everything. Just recently Tim Vandagrift wrote a neat article in WineMaker Magazine about filtering that really explains it all.

Btw I use a Buon Mini Jet. They are a pricey but they are worth it.

You always could use the in-line cartridge type filtration system, with housing and 2 filters ,bracket and wrench is approx 35 dollars it typically works best with a vacuum sysytem set up - Lets see which one I would recommend - oh yea - http://allinonewinepump.com/

Anyone have any recommendations for an affordable filter system for a newbie to wine making? I don't want to spend hundreds because I'm just starting out and don't even know if I'm capable of making good wines yet since my first batch is in secondary still, lol

I try to let wine sit long enough to clear, but we did have our commercial wine have some sediment. :(. I have never had a problem with it before and i could see the tank bottom, but the larger tanks seem to take forever to clear fully. We had them in bulk for almost a year. Now we are going to at minimum, rough filter, but we do have a fine filter on hand. With it, we will rough, then fine for good polish. :) Still, I do think if you filter it fine, it does take out some flavor.

I went on ebay and found this cheap filter system.

NEW Harris Vinbrite home wine making filter with pads.

Not sure if it will work haven't received it yet, but for about $27.67 I will try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220926790160?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2209267901604040_1.jpg

Last edited:
I went on ebay and found this cheap filter system.

NEW Harris Vinbrite home wine making filter with pads.

Not sure if it will work haven't received it yet, but for about $27.67 I will try it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220926790160?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2209267901604040_1.jpg

That's a pretty common filter for beginners. The Winemakers Toy Store (one of our sponsors) sells them. They also have an online video that shows how to use it properly. Be sure to buy some extra filters, cause if there is ANY sediment in the wine, this filter will stop up almost immediately.

I'll be honest with you. From talking to people who have used it, said it did a good job but it took forever (extremely slow). Some said they won't use it again and are looking for a new filter.

I'll be honest with you. From talking to people who have used it, said it did a good job but it took forever (extremely slow). Some said they won't use it again and are looking for a new filter.

I agree with Dan. So, if you can afford it, get something better. If not, it will at least "eventually" get the job done (they can stop up easily).

Honestly, I have one of these same ones but have never used it, as I don't filter any of my wines. It is a personal preference, and so far, I just have not seen the need. I usually make only reds. Having said that, I do have a couple of Chardonnays getting close to bottling that I just might filter. I know filtering can make a white really sparkle.

Yeah I just wanted to see if it would work is all, since I've seen that some brewers filter and some don't. Didn't want to spend a lot of money for one right now.

Last edited:
Have used that smaller inline filter before. It is slow and will stop if the wine isn't pretty close to clear. It does work, but not very fast. If you plan on using one, make sure you have time and let it get as clear as possible before using.

I use a Buon mini jet also. It really isn't intended to make wine clear, it is to make clear wines really shine. I still rack at least three time and use a fining agent (if needed) to clear the wine before I filter. Skeeter pee for example really benefits from filtering. It is just smoother in my opinion.

Skeeter pee for example really benefits from filtering. It is just smoother in my opinion.

Some larger particles in wine can cause off flavors,especially ones from multiple fermentations. It is very possible that a filtering is making the wine better.

This will be my first time using this filter. I'm in no rush and will let wine clear and rack several times as well. It's a slow hobby and I'll just take my time.

Back