I got a job at a winery.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubaman2151

Reaction score
Yep its true. I got a job ata winery. Mostly I crush grapes and do the work back in the warehouse. Today we probably crushed and De-stemmed about 3,000 lbs of grapes. We probably have around 1,000-2,000 gallons of juice sitting on skins right now in the warehouse getting ready to start fermentation. We also probably pressed around 1,000 gallons of juice today to get the skins out of the juice. Its a pretty cool job and I'm pretty happy I got it. The Napa Valley Merlot is going to come out very nice this year, the color is amazing, I'm looking forward to that wine when its ready.

Scuba

Congratulations!
smiley32.gif
And all I have is a desk job...
smiley19.gif

How great....doing a job you enjoy...keep us Posted...can you take photos during your break???

I don't even have a job....Unless farmer's wife/yard maintenanceis a job.

Good to hear Scuba, you are living the dream. So I assume you are in California? Which winery? I go down to sonoma/napa area twice or so a year to visit winerys; Maybe I've had some of the win you will be making.

Good luck there Scubaman! Is this a general cellar rat job or is it seasonal help? Either way, you have a great opportunity to learn a great art and trade. Before you know it you WILL be studying Viticulture and Oenology after all!

Thanks guys. I acutally live in ohio, we have grapes delivered and sell them.It is actually a wine bar/wine supply shop.This is a general rat job, we will be crushing for the next month or so, then we will start working on bottling. Ill try and take some pics when I get a chance.

Scuba

Hands on experience that will be invaluable scube.....Soem pictures would be great !!!

NW, you bet it is a job!!! Anyone tell you different, get that pitch fork out!! haha

uavwmn

Thanks, I work again Friday, maybe Sunday Ill try and get some pics so you guys can see what is going on.

That sounds really cool! I guess you will probably get some free juice every once in a while.Post pics!!
lockdude

Well well well...

I envy you. getting paid for it!

After 6 weeks of crush, late nights, early mornings, the romance was gone... now a few weeks have passed and I am looking forward to the next crush!

It's fascinating to see similarities and differences in making batches 500 gallons at a time!

Well I worked again over the weekend and it went pretty well. I am working on the pics but it is a small place, it is actually a wine bar that sells wine making supplies and fresh juice. I dont want my boss to think im taking pics just to rip of thier ideas, but ill get some up when I can. The crushing is pretty cool except when you get the guys who love to blend thier wine, takes awhile longer to get everything done. that day I had to crush and press about 50 gallons of sauvignon blanc.

Latest posts

Back