Secrets for removing labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrapeApe

Reaction score
I'm acquiring bottles from our wine friends who were throwing them in the recycling bin. Within a few weeks, I have gathered about 5 cases of bottles, but taking the labels off is a real chore. We've tried soaking them in very hot tap water for 30 minutes. The label then falls apart leaving the sticky glue mess behind. Then we hit it with Goo Gone and then a scubber sponge. It works, but it's real messy and very time consuming.
Does anyone have an easier way or is that just the price that we have to pay for free bottles?

Thanks.

GrapeApe.

As far as I know that's the price we pay...Free bottles, but with some work.

I think it sounds like your doing it right, it is a mess and you will find some brands are easier to deal with.

Do you have a faucet jet blaster and a bottle brush??? That way you know that the inside is clean.

I try to use the Goo-Gone only as a last resort...because of the oil and cemicals...

Soak for as long as you can in a large tub...Scrape off as much as you can with a knife, then I use a curly wire scrubby thingy and get as much glue as I can that way, then a green scrubby thingy with a bit of dish soap [don't like to use the soap, but it does help] Today I did 3 cases and didn't have to resort to the Goo-Gone.

Another job done.Edited by: Northern Winos

I use an oxygen based cleanser like Easy Clean (George has this) and soak the bottles in the solution for a few days and most labels are floating on the surface and most glues can be rubbed off using my finger. There are a few bottles that have to have a scrubby pad and scouring powder to remove.

Istand the bottlesup in the laundry sink,fill withhot waterand oxygenated cleaner on the inside, hot water and powdered dishwasher soap on the outside. Most labels come off within 15 minutes. I then scrub the glue off with a pot scrubber(nylon or brass). The goo gone is for the most stubborn glue.
Dave

1) shave off labels with handled paint razor.
2) hot water and brillo pad removes glue
3) hot cleaner andrinse

a cheaper alternative is to soak them in a laundry sink full of very soap water (use regular dishsoap). You will be suprised how well it works. Then I use go Be Gone on the stubborn bottles.

a big tub of hot water some oxygenated cleaner and a good long soak (overnight) then refill the tub with hot water and degreasing diswashing liquid (Dawn has worked best) soak for a whole day. Usually the glue and labels are gone!!!

I read on another forum that someone fills theirs with hot water and then puts the bottles in a tub of adhesive remover for carpet or tile just on the outside of the bottle and only on the real stubborn ones!

I wouldn't be too worried about the "chemicals" in Goo-Gone. If my supposition is correct (I use it all the time in many applications without gloves) it is mainly d-limonene, the main ingredient in citrus oils. It used to be really expensive, being extracted from citrus peels, but someone figured out how to synthesize it and it is showing up everywhere.

The company I used to work for used it to make a cleaner for papermaking machines. It replaced harsh solvents, and they did an ad with two people, one in jeans, a shirt, hardhat, goggles, and rubber gloves. The other was in a hazmat suit. The caption was "How would you like to dress for your next boilout?" (Boilout is what papermakers call cleaning the machine between runs.)

I have cleaned hundreds of bottles and my technique is to use a razor blade window type scraper horizontally across the bottle under hot running water. Most labels come off easy this way not much glue residue. The glue residue is cleaned off with hot water and SOS pad. I have tried the bargain brand pad and they don't work...stick with the SOS brand.

I have a bunch of bottles (same brand) that have not been cleaned because the glue gets very sticky when hot water is applied. Those will get a solvent someday to clean off the glue.

I have found that on those realy hard top remove, thick gluey bottles, just re-soak them after geting most of the paper off and the glue breaksdown to a gum like substance that rolls right off with a scrubby pad. If all else fails, lighter fluid on a paper towel or rag works great!

Or a belt sander.
smiley2.gif

I'll have to remember to try the razor blade thing BEFORE we begin making more empty bottles.

Thanks for the advice!

Sort of on the same topic; I have access to hundreds of unused clear bottles. The problem is that they are left outside on a pallet and some of them have taken on a little rainwater. I picked up about 40 of them, cleaned, scrubbed with detergent, rinsed diligently, and as to be expected I guess about one in six have water marks/stains? in them. So far I've tried Straight A (fairly expensive) oxyclean, almosts looks the same, dishsoap, and ammonia. I haven't tried straight bleach or solvents (kidding)yet. Probably should just start tossing them, but was wonderingif anyone had some sure fire things to try. I've probably already spent five times as muchin material/time/effort as new bottles are worth, but I'm a glutton for punishment. As far as labels, I've heard good things about a Straight A soak. I usually start withwater as hot as I can get it. Jobe, try wd40!

If it's a rainwater stain I would try a mix of 50/50 vinegar and water. It should take care of some of the hard water and minerals. THen get a bottle brush hooked to a drill to clean them when you are done....
Not sure that will work, but I would try. Try and let the vinegar soak for over an hour and report back to us.

I soak my bottles over night, then use the paint razor blade scraper. a good sharp razor peels the lables right off. For the real stuborn ones I too use wd40 on a rag. It works wonders...

I use TSP overnight, and all labels and glue typically comes right off. A quick wipe with a paper towel takes all glue off after a night soak in a TSP solution. You do have to rinse quite well though! I use a double-blast washer to clean the insides, and lots of running water to get the outside non-slippery. I have not etched a bottle yet, as I've been told that TSP will etch bottles. I've had some soak for over 5 days in a strong solution of it.

When we first got started with this hobby we made beer....I put a case of bottles we got from a bottling company in a laundry tub with some ammonia, got busy for a few days....The labels floated off, but some of the bottles did get etched... threw some of them out. So be careful with ammonia.
Is the TSP you guys get still have Phosphates in it???? Can't get the real-deal in our state anymore...it doesn't work like the old stuff did.Edited by: Northern Winos

I'm not sure if they changed the formula, but even if they did, this stuff works awesome. I can't find anything on the label to say phosphate free. I would suspect original formula. This stuff cuts through anything oil based.

I have found it at good hardware stores and lumber yards but not the big chain stores like Home Cheapo. You could also try a good paint store since TSP was astandard product used to wash down things before painting."Savogran" is one brand namethat makes the product.

I use TSP and Bleach to clean my wood decking to remove dirt and mold.Edited by: masta

Latest posts

Back