WineXpert Ready to bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
I have a Bergamais kit that is clear and tastes good. One problem, it is a bit fizzy in the mouth. No visible bubbles in the glass and if you let it sit in the glass for 10-20 minutes it becomes flat. My question is, do I bottle it or is there something that I can do to make it flat prior to bottling?

Thanks in advance!!

You need to degas before bottling to remove the CO2. There are two options: First one is let it sit a few months and it will degas slowly on it's own or the best option is:

1. <LI>Get some comparable wine to top off with.</LI>
    <LI>Rack the wine off the lees into another carboy or to your fermenter then back to your carboy after cleaning/sanitizing.</LI>
    <LI>You should have some headspace which will allow you room to stir to degas the wine (wine needs to be 70-75 F). As I and other have said many times a drill mounted stirrer is best for this task....period!</LI>
    <LI>After degassing top off the carboy and let it sitat least a week to make sure no more fines drop out and it is clear</LI>
    <LI>Go ahead and bottle</LI>

I concur with Masta. The racking and stirring should take care of the remaining CO2.

Latest posts

Back