Wild blackberries, Wild grapes??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainl

Reaction score
Took my kids blackberry picking this morning. We probably got about 1 lb. Also a few mullberries mixed in there. Anyhow I have been on the look out for wild muscadine grapes as they do grow around here in houston. I think I found some. What do you guys think about these pictures: Not sure if they are grape clusters or what but they are vines growing up into the trees 20 plus feet up and hanging down.

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

Those are definitely some kind of bunch grape blossoms. Since muscadines are not bunch grapes, I don't think that is what it is. Keep an eye on them as the season progresses and you might be able to pick something in a few months.

hey cool. A little research, I think they are "frost grapes" anyone make wine with them?? There are tons of them growing wild a couple miles from my home.

Looks like Vitis riparia, the frost grape or river bank grape which is found pretty much all over the U.S. in my experience they yield no where near as much as a domesticated vine though with training the yield could be increased. They have an very interesting flavor, i plan on making a wine later this year flavored with these grapes. I would not recomend trying to make a true wine from them because they are almost all seed but using them as an adjunct with other grapes, concentrates or fruit could be very interesting.

Latest posts

Back