What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bitter tears. My steam boiler broke, and the replacement coming tomorrow will cost more than my last new car.... :(

Here's to hoping your last new car was a year end close out that was the bottom model in the line...you can dream can't you!

Paul, sorry to hear of your loss, like @Johnd , here's hoping that the improved efficiency will make the new model worth the cost.

Bummer, but not one of those things you can live without......maybe it'll save you some money, assuming a newer one will have improved efficiency.

Here's to hoping your last new car was a year end close out that was the bottom model in the line...you can dream can't you!

Paul, sorry to hear of your loss, like @Johnd , here's hoping that the improved efficiency will make the new model worth the cost.

That stinks - so sorry to hear. (and glad I don't have a steam boiler)

Thanks, guys! Keep your fingers crossed -- I may have dodged a bullet. After a full night's thinking about the problem and a full day's working on it, I may have come up with a $300 fix. :r I should know by Monday. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks, guys! Keep your fingers crossed -- I may have dodged a bullet. After a full night's thinking about the problem and a full day's working on it, I may have come up with a $300 fix. :r I should know by Monday. Keep your fingers crossed!

Nice to see all of those advanced degrees are finally paying off! :h

That's a great deal on a car!!! :)

Thanks, everyone!

Nice to see all of those advanced degrees are finally paying off! :h

Well, actually, yes! Yes they are! :db

That's a great deal on a car!!! :)

Yeah, that thought did cross my mind... Mostly, however, I was tempted to invest some of the expected savings into more, ummmm, liquid assets :dg

Now, back on topic of this thread: presently drinking a Kendall-Jackson Reserve Syrah (2014, from Santa Barbara). Quite enjoyable, but nothing to write on the internets about.

Brought the wine thief to the basement (the glass one, not the human one) and tried the Fall Cab Franc and then the Lanza Zin. Both are doing well, the Cab Franc doesn't need any more oak at this point, it's good but any more would be a bit over the top for me as this wine has a nice blueberry and dark fruit background, but a pretty light body. The Zin blows away the Cab Franc as I'd expect in intensity of fruit, alcohol and mouth feel, very much a slow sipping, contemplative wine at this point. Big difference in the two Zin batches, the batch with Am M+ cubes has intense oak. The batch with the Xoakers is much more mellow, but there is definitely oak in there, and it has a much different flavor profile (Fr M+).

Haven't tried a few of my other batches in a while, so it might be a long evening of thiefing (Malbec, Brunello, Vieux Chateau Du Roi, Pinot Noir).

We now return you to......... WINE!

2010 Spring Valley Vineyards "Nina Lee" Syrah. These guys knock it out of the park each and every year. Tasted at the winery when we toured Walla Walla back in 2012 and this stood out overall. 92pts WS and I would give it more like 93-94. Just flat out perfect in every way. Loads of dark blue fruits, cedar, forrest floor, nice oak and a finish that goes on and on and on...... Plenty of life in this bottle like another 15 years or more!

IMG_1963.jpg

I went to over to some friends for dinner who are originally from Macedonia. I brought a Cline Viognier that we polished off, but after dinner they brought out a Syrah from Macedonia. Bovin by name, 2010 vintage. This was impressive. Not in the league of the wine in the post two above this one, but better than I expected by a long shot.

Stayed home tonight and watched a movie with hubby (Jack Reacher:Never Go Back) with just a "little" GC Sangiovese Merlot.

Went out to dinner last night. Started with a Chateau St. Michelle Riesling with salad, then a Federalist Zinfandel with my bourbon-maple cedar planked salmon. They played very nicely together.

Had friends over for dinner. Went through 2 bottles of my 2015 Zinfandel and 1 bottle of 2015 Malbec. Both were easy drinkers.

Knew I had one bottle left of 2010 H3 Cabernet Sauvignon, dug around the cellar until I found it. I was a little worried that it may have been over the hill but VERY happy to report that this wine is still smoking good for a $10 bottle of wine! 90pts WS, I have excellent storage conditions and it was just perfect. The oak and tannins have mellowed a bit but the acid and finish are still spot on perfect. Perfectly balanced red fruits, vanilla, a little pencil and a hint of sage. I have a 3L Double Mag of this lying down in the cellar as well. Its now looking for a reason to be opened soon! :db

IMG_1974.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back