Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright guys: two new kits have been started.

Two Cab Sauv kits. Both done very similarly.
> K1V-1116 yeast
> 1-cup dates in one; 1/2-cup in the other (in my brilliance: I didn't label which is which but I'll figure it out)
> 1/2 cup raisins
> small handfull of fresh cranberries (maybe 1/4cup?)
> done to 6gal (in light of added fruit and I wanted an easy-drinking wine)
> I used the included pack of oak but did not add any more (again: to keep it light)

Hydrometer tells me it should be around 12% ABV (without taking into account the added sugar from the dates)

In retrospect: I should have crushed the cranberries instead of dropping them in whole. They might not contribute to much of anything right now (which might be fine).

@joeswine
Looking at getting a Fontana Chardonnay in a couple months. Couple questions.
A. what type of oak are you using and do you only use it in primary?
B. How exactly do you cold soak at the end to clear?

can one tweak bottled juice wine the same way

Hi Joe, 2 questions: can wine made from bottles juice, like concord, be likewise tweaked? And second, you have a shot of your starting PH, between 3.5 and 4. If your PH was say 5, would you have used acid blend to bring it down? Fran

Wineforfun,the oak I used was a med.toast,the cold soak was because I added an fpac to the primary and created more solids in the wine and it was harder to clear after all was done I split the volume and placed it into the frig.until I was ready to bottle then I allowed the wine to come up to room temperature .I used plastic wrap and a rubber band to enclose the vessels .

7.jpg

15.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

24.jpg

Fran365.I never made wine using bottled juice straight up( Unless it was a fresh pressed apple juice fresh from the orchard with no chems added) so I would say please don't, that's not wine making. Also I've found that the PH of kit wine calms down a bit after a short period of rest.

16 (3).jpg

11.jpg

14b (2).jpg

19.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Joeswine, for the advice. In my enthusiasm as a new wine maker I bought a sizable amount of juices this fall, at rock bottom prices. Once these are gone I will transfer to wine kits.

Which thread ( good Wine's Gone Bad)there's a lot to take in "Drink Slowly" make me proud.

@joeswine
You mentioned you added an fpac into your Fontana Chardonnay in the primary. I didn't see it listed, what type of fpac did you add?

Chardonnay fpac

this is what I used to give the wine a little more body but remember it takes longer to clear this one I also cold stabilized.

9.jpg

IMG_20140828_160757417.jpg

this is what I used to give the wine a little more body but remember it takes longer to clear this one I also cold stabilized.

Ok, thanks.
You used this on the Chardonnay? I see you have it marked for a Savignon Blanc.

Also, how many pounds of Thompson grapes did you use for the fpac?

About 1 lb. ,The thought The time was for one wine the other transpired first it's just an Fpac you can use it for any white,tge grapes are sweet and tart no problem .

About 1 lb. ,The thought The time was for one wine the other transpired first it's just an Fpac you can use it for any white,tge grapes are sweet and tart no problem .

Awesome, thanks again.

New to wine making. I had purchased a Fontana Cab Sauv kit and started it before I found this forum. I did make it as a 5 gallon kit. I have added some oak and tannins to the secondary hoping this brings it around some. After finding this forum I got a Fontana Malbec kit and used Joes tweaks SG at 1.1 and it has been cranking for a few days.

New to wine making. I had purchased a Fontana Cab Sauv kit and started it before I found this forum. I did make it as a 5 gallon kit. I have added some oak and tannins to the secondary hoping this brings it around some. After finding this forum I got a Fontana Malbec kit and used Joes tweaks SG at 1.1 and it has been cranking for a few days.

That's my favorite one. Cheers to Joe!!!

Latest posts

Back