Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > Do you filter wine before bottling?

Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 372 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I plan to filter every batch this year. Why, because I can easily do so with mu AIO pump system....so why not?

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 429 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
I plan to filter every batch this year. Why, because I can easily do so with mu AIO pump system....so why not?
You know, the AIO is a product of Space Exploration right?

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
jburtner

Apr 2016
Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I used clearing agents and filtered (after about 3-4 months in carboy) then let it sit that long again.... Slight sediment in both reds and whites and DB...

Not sure why but I'm not too worried about it other than I would like to be able to have a wonderfully polished product long term in the bottle.... On the other hand I find sediment in commercial bottles all the time too...

Plan to let it sit longer and filter before bottling....

That's with the AIO setup and five micron red wine filters one micron white wine filters...

Cheers!
-johann.b

vacuumpumpman Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
dcbrown73
Clueless Winemaker

Mar 2016
Liked 429 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 584

@jburtner

What clearing agent? Chitosan or Sparkolloid? I've used Sparkolloid, but after using Chitosan and similar products. I won't go back to Sparkolloid again. It's slow to clear and can continue to drop sediment over months.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #15
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 372 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrown73 View Post
You know, the AIO is a product of Space Exploration right?

Good one DC! And even though it sucks, it is still much more efficient than NASA. I have to admit, when NASA proved Chia Pets could grow hair in space it sealed the deal for me.

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #16
jburtner

Apr 2016
Liked 54 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have some sparkolloid but have never used it. I have used included Chitosan from kits and have been considering Superkleer for non kit batches...

This case dropped some minor sediment in the bottle after I had used Chitosan and filtered but I had also let it sit in the carboy for another 3 or 4 months before bottling.... No biggie as I am drinking it and learning the tricks as I go....

I do love watching the Chitosan drop all the sediment out - it drops very quickly and is a sight to see - after a week it's clear and ready to xfer.

I think I'll experiment with adding another filter step at each racking....

Cheers!
-jb

Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #17
vacuumpumpman
Vendor
WMT_SPONSOR.png

Aug 2011
Liked 678 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

@ Harbrook
please check this link for all the part # - most all you can also find on amazon.ca to save you some shipping expense also -

http://www.allinonewinepump.com/prod...-filter-setup/

Old 01-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014
Liked 216 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

i make only country wine from scratch, and i bulk dueto type from 1 to 2 yearsbulk aging, i fiterat each rackking 1 micron forwhiteand 5 micron forreds, usinf the allinonewinepump, @vacuumpumpman. i also rac just beforebottling at 1 an 2 years o***e, dose not harm anything, as te rest has told you you dont have to as long as you bulk age long enough, but i do just the same, i rack every 3 months, tilll most whites make 1 year bulk aging, and reds an pear makes 2 year bulk aging,
Dawg

QUOTE=Harbrook;634580]Another question that seems to split opinion.
Do you filter your wine before bottling?
I plan on bulk ageing my wine for a couple of months before bottling, but I am confused if it is a good idea to filter the wine as I bottle it after this time in the carboy.
The wine kit I am making is the Vineco Atmosphere Italian Amarone
If you do filter the wine, What is the best filtering system to use as an amateur winemaker. My philosophy on buying gear is "buy well, buy once" although I have to keep this in check as it is a hobby for me and don't have the funds to buy top of the range equipment[/QUOTE]
KNOW YOUR BIBLE, LET NOT THOu BE LEAD ASTRAY BY THE WICKED,,,''' ALWAYS DO THE LEADING DOWN THE WIDE CROOKED PATH ON THE HYWAY TO HELL YOU'LL GET THERE ALOT QUICKER IF THATS THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN, THAT WAY IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT,,

Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #19
JohnT

Feb 2010
Liked 3569 Times on 2090 Posts
Likes Given: 2677

I do filter my white wines, but never really filter my reds.

I find that filtering my whites really brighten them up. It is almost like a glass would light up a room.

I have a bon vino superjet filter (3 plate) and I also have a 6 plate filter (not sure of the maker) that I use only on larger runs of wine.

roger80465 Likes This