Just wanted to say thanks...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omerta

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone here.
After making wine for about a year and being part of this forum for the same, I felt like saying thanks.
I can honestly say that in my life there was never enough time for the passing of traditions. Mom and Dad were too busy doing what need to be done to survive. I feel that in today's crazy society a lot of traditions might be lost to a lack of time. Time spent surviving.
The days of sharing the smell of oil and gas with a Father or Son while fixing the family hot rod (okay Mom's mini-van) might be harder to come by. As well as a moment to pass Grandma's special meatball recipe from Mother to Daughter.
A hobby/craft/obsession such as ours is better off shared from one person to another. Learning from the wisdom and experience of others.
I hope to one day pass this tradition on to my children should I be blessed with a family of my own. If not it is nice to know that tradition has found a away to survive in our fast paced technologically changing word.
To everyone here... thanks for the tradition.

'merta,

Tradition is a hard thing to pass on. I am quessing you are Italian, and even if not. Now a days kids don't care. Even beyond the discussion of wine(Ishudder to think), most of the young people I know, have no idea of their "roots".

Passing on the knowledge and the "traditions" is a tough teaching.

I think about this alot, when those traditions die, so does the culture.

I am multi-lingual. That means I speak more than 2 languages. I know that when you learn a language, you learn the culture as well. having said that, for a young person to have a good chance on carrying on the "tradition' it is important for them to first learn the language.

I am rambling now, but you asked.

A couple years ago I was attending the University of Alaska studying Russian and was talking to the head of the Foreign language Dept. about the importance of language and tradition, and he almost begged me to learn YUPIK, one of the native languages here. It is an Eskimo language, not to be confused with Inupiat. nor should it be confused with Aleut.

None the less. This professor knew than, and it still holds true. When the language is gone so is the culture. And the rest..(Ishuddr again). It hasn't been long since we have tried to place a written "structure" to an unwritten language.

I am a pollack from Wisconsin. I have been transplanted here. During a bad "beam me up" episode on Star Trek, I ended up here.

What I mean, is that I could have easily enough learned Yupik, instead of Russian, but unless I was deeply involved in the Yupik culture, I could never pass on tradition, nor do I expect to do so through learning Russsian.

In conclusion, if you want to pass something on, insist your kids, or yourself, for that matter, learn the language of your forefathers.

If it was up to me, and I petitioned the School Board here about this, you wouldn't have a chance in hell to graduate from high school here in Alaska unless you took a year of a foreign language. Win, lose, or draw.

FKKKL Algebra, another language will get you farther, even if it isn't the language of your soul.

Geez, I meant to say something like that.
:tz:tz:slp

Omerta,
The only thing you may want to do is find or start a Wine Club in your area. This is what's so great on having or belonging to one. YOU get to pass or learn knowledge to others.
You know any one thats in the S.Jersey area is always invited to attend any of my wine club meetings.

Well no one in my family as into wine making and there isnt really any tradition that I know of that can be passed down but hopefully that can start now with my son and maybe my daughte. She is 13 and doesnt really seem interested at all but my 6 year old son loves to come down and work with me when doing anything wine or beer. Just yesterday he was right down there corking the bottles and boxing them up after I fill em. Hes also right there when I do pretty much anything, He does the dishwasher, washes clothes and anything else we'll let him do. The girl on the other hand makes it painful tp ask her to do anything.

Omerta...that is one of the nicest postings i have *ever* seen on a wine forum.

I love keeping the traditions going, from wine to quilting, gardening and home preserves.. sharing the knowledge is what it's all about.

it's a lot like a family on here for sure Omerta.

( without the drama.....)

Allie :p

Omerta I'm with you and the others who value tradition. My grand fathers made and sold wine. My dad did not. However, traditions are really difficult to pass on today. I have 4 daughters and 8 grands so far. But when I observe them I look to see if what I tried to teach survived. For the most part, I failed. However, they are so busy with their kids that there is no time for the old traditions. They spend so much more time with their kids then I did or did my parents. But then that is a tradition that they are teaching their kids. Maybe the new traditions are better than the old. Spending time with the kids certainly is a better tradition and certainly with greater paybacks. Wow, talk about rambling on…

speaking of passing on a tradition...there is one i found out about one of my grandfathers traditions back in the late 20's early 30's that i wont be able to duplicate.....he brewed beer in the family bath tub and sold it during prohibition...guess i have to wait for the Temperance Union gals to resurface

Al, or just install a shower, and keep the tradition alive!! LOL

Latest posts

Back